PC will not power on with GPU

Nov 7, 2018
My PC was working perfectly fine until it completely powered off suddenly while playing a video game. When I tried powering it back on, nothing worked.

I worked my way through all the components and it powered up when I removed the video card. I messed around with it and the PC powered on when I don't have the PCI Express cables plugged in. I checked the voltages on the PCIe of the PS and it was reading 12v on the multimeter. I tried my old video card and it seemed to power up with the fans spinning and everything so I determined that it was the vid card and so I bought a new Rx 580

Now the fans don't even spin up on the 580 but the rest of the computer does just like it did when I removed the video card. I try using the mobos video output but no display. Is this a Mobo issue?

Intel 6700
Seasonic x 660 PSU
Nvidia 970 GTX / Rx 580
Asus z170A
Gskill Aegis ddr4 ram

Nov 7, 2018

As it turns out, it was me just being slow. Like I said, I had check all the rails of the PSU with a multimeter so I knew it wasn't the issue. Upon checking again, I noticed that I had no voltage to the PCIe. It being a modular PS, I guess I didnt push the cable all the way in and it came out while I pushed it through the cable management hole in the case. To give me a bit more slack to accommodate the new card.

So in the end, it was just another crappy Nvidia card failing on me and me being dumb. It may be an old PS but it's still a good one. 8 or 9 years and going strong. When it dies, it's replacement will no doubt be a Seasonic.