PC will only boot with 1 RAM stick.

Apr 8, 2018
Hey guys, two days ago I upgraded my CPU, motherboard, CPU cooler and RAM.

Everything went perfectly until I pressed the power button and the orange DRAM led turned on on the motherboard, the computer didn't boot up, there wasn't video signal for the monitors and it couldn't even get to the BIOS.

The RAM was initially in slots 2 and 4 as recommended by the motherboard manual. Then I proceeded to try all the possible combinations with one and both sticks until I was able to boot up using one of the sticks in the second slot (DIMMA2). If I switch sticks, it wont work. It will only boot with one of them in DIMMA2. I've checked the RAM slots closely and everything seems to be fine, nothing seems broken or out of place.

After trying the second, apparently faulty stick in all slots along with the working one in DIMMA2, it still didn't work and I kept getting the orange DRAM led on the motherboard. So I took it out, booted again with the good stick in and I got the DRAM led again, just like before. I took it out and put it back in DIMMA2 again, and the computer seemed to boot perfectly. Didn't try anything else since then.

Checked CPU pins and they seem to be fine:
http://imgur.com/6xxpgCQ
http://imgur.com/v1AcPzG

I also got rid of static before installing the components.

Unfortunately I don't have any other PC or motherboard at hand to try the RAM on. Borrowing RAM from someone else isn't an option either.

I want to think one RAM stick is faulty, but how do I know there isn't a problem with the motherboard? I really don't want to get sent a new pair for it not to work again.

-Specs after upgrade:

-CPU: i7 8700k 3.7Ghz

-GPU: MSI GTX 970 4GB

-Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-A

-RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000Mhz PC-24000 16GB 2x8GB CL15

-Liquid cooling: NZXT Kraken x52

-HDD: 1TB Western Digital

-PSU: Corsair RM850i 850W 80 Gold Plus

I did some research on Google and here on the forum and although there were some similar cases I couldn't really find a clear answer.

Thank you guys for your time.

Edit: Checked the BIOS and the good stick is running at 2133Mhz, when it says its 3000Mhz in the product description. Is this normal? Is it because I'm using only 1 stick?

Apr 8, 2018
See if there is a MEMOk button around the ram slots and it might clear out an error that is making it not boot. If not I would return the ram. On this board I think it is by the 24 pin power connector.

Apr 8, 2018

Just checked. Everything looks fine to me, but I added some pictures to the post just in case.

Apr 8, 2018

Pretty good idea but had no luck, unfortunately :/

Pins look ok, indeed. Try testing again, this time with the board outside the case.

Apr 8, 2018

I will try in a bit. What exactly is the purpose of this? I hope it's worth taking everything appart

Apr 8, 2018
For whoever has this problem as well and is trying to find a solution:

Ended up getting a replacement from the store, and now it seems to work just fine.