Question PC will turn off/restart after a while being idle

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
Hi,

Newly built desktop PC is turning off on its own, a few minutes after being idle. I don't know if it's 10 or 20min. It looks like it restarts always. I have no sleep, no hibernate, and nothing in the BIOS that I know of that would do that.

Any ideas?

GideonEL

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2012
The PSU might be defective and is heating up and cooling down. Performs a shutdown to avoid burning out. Might be issue on the OS when writing to the RAM, this fails and once again it shuts down. Might not be sufficient heat paste on the CPU and it heats up causing the mobo to perform a shut down.

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
The PSU might be defective and is heating up and cooling down. Performs a shutdown to avoid burning out. Might be issue on the OS when writing to the RAM, this fails and once again it shuts down. Might not be sufficient heat paste on the CPU and it heats up causing the mobo to perform a shut down.
Thank you. Where would you suggest I start with the troubleshooting?

Quick important note I forgot to mention, PC looks like it's still running, but loses feed to monitor, so it could be the GPU acting up, but I doubt it, because the PC does seem like it goes derp for a second or two everytime it does this. It's almost as if it restarts, but then i lose feed to monitor, and cannot check if PC might still be running fine in the background...

You started your post by saying ... a newly built pc , that would mean you now need ALL the updates that microsoft has ever released since your operating system was first released.. This "might" explain why you get multiple shutdown and restarts as your new pc has a lot of catching up to do.

A few clues that this might be the problem .... when you have been shutting the pc down yourself have you ever seen " install and shutdown" also , when turning your pc on have you ever seen "updating" do not turn off.

COMPONANT CHECKS.....

run memory diagnosis , this will check ram but not say which stick is faulty , if it reports fault check each stick individually.

Run dxdiag .....

Right click hard drive/properties/tools and run error check.

Check reliability monitor and google any error logs.

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
You started your post by saying ... a newly built pc , that would mean you now need ALL the updates that microsoft has ever released since your operating system was first released.. This "might" explain why you get multiple shutdown and restarts as your new pc has a lot of catching up to do.

A few clues that this might be the problem .... when you have been shutting the pc down yourself have you ever seen " install and shutdown" also , when turning your pc on have you ever seen "updating" do not turn off.

COMPONANT CHECKS.....

run memory diagnosis , this will check ram but not say which stick is faulty , if it reports fault check each stick individually.

Run dxdiag .....

Right click hard drive/properties/tools and run error check.

Check reliability monitor and google any error logs.
Thanks for all the troubleshooting steps MJS. The very last one (reliability one) did find two critical errors. They are AMD External Events Client Module and the Corsair.Service.DisplayAdapter. They both stop working for a bit almost everyday (which does align with my pc restarting everyday and me losing feed to monitor). Hmmm... Not sure what these things are though.

"The process known as AMD External Events Client Module belongs to software AMD External Events or Advanced Micro Devices by AMD (www.amd.com). Description: Atieclxx.exe is not essential for Windows and will often cause problems. Atieclxx.exe is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder."

Didn't find anything on the Corsair problem.