Question PC with Linux installed suddenly turned itself off and will not turn back on ?

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
I have a computer with an AMD 7680 APU and I believe the motherboard is an Onda A68B+ .
I think the PSU is an Antec 550. I imagine that this wattage is enough as there is no dGPU installed.
It has 16GB of DDR3 RAM.

Recently I was ordered to remove Windows 11 due to security risks because this computer belong to the government of Canada since I am technically military.

I am fully aware the Philippines has interesting form of electricity that might or might not have an abundance of static in the lines and where I reside I do not have a third prong for the power output in the wall.

So to rectify that I have a cable going from the grounding or earthing prong to a steel beam inside my home that is supposedly going down 1.5m into the ground or least connected to something that goes 1.5m on the ground.

On top of that I also use a UPS that has modified sine wave inverter that can handle up to 390 watts peak.

But today when I was installing a lot of things I tried testing Grand Theft Auto V and in the loading sequence the computer shut off.

Assuming that it was the APU overheating I gave it an hour to cool off and unplugged the the power from the PSU and now when I plug the power back into the PSU and I press the power button the CPU fan LED only lights up for a second and then nothing.

What could be happening?

I understand that this is government property but since I also use it for personal things like video games, and all the things that i replaced out value the PC itself (psu,ram and ssd) I have to accept responsibility for anything else.

Lutfij

Titan
I think the power supply unit is an Antec 550
Antec is the brand of the unit while 550 is the advertised wattage of said unit.

where I reside I do not have a third prong for the power output in the wall
You can easily ground your wall outlet by running a grounding wire to a faucet or something that is grounded, as an architect I've had to electrically solve some client's homes that way since running a wire internally was not an option.

So to rectify that I have a cable going from the grounding or earthing prong to a steel beam inside my home that is supposedly going down 1.5m into the ground or least connected to something that goes 1.5m on the ground.
Are you sure on the fact that the beam is grounded and not just superficially?

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

I understand that this is government property
I would be hesitant to tinker around with such a system, IMHO.

USAFRet

Titan
Recently I was ordered to remove Windows 11 due to security risks because this computer belong to the government of Canada since I am technically military.
What OS are you using now?
What OS did it start with?

I understand that this is government property but since I also use it for personal things like video games, and all the things that i replaced out value the PC itself (psu,ram and ssd) I have to accept responsibility for anything else.
If it is a govt PC, why are you using it for personal things like games?

Just so you know, thee US Dept of Defense is actively upgrading to Win 11.

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
I think the power supply unit is an Antec 550
Antec is the brand of the unit while 550 is the advertised wattage of said unit.

where I reside I do not have a third prong for the power output in the wall
You can easily ground your wall outlet by running a grounding wire to a faucet or something that is grounded, as an architect I've had to electrically solve some client's homes that way since running a wire internally was not an option.

Are you sure on the fact that the beam is grounded and not just superficially?

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Amd 7680 an apu with a Radeon 7 i believe
Mobo onda A68v+
CPU cooler:

CPU cooler is stock that has 4 pins but i tested another CPU cooler with 3 pins and sadly it has led because led makes everything faster 😜
Motherboard:
Ram:
Ram is 16gb 1300 mhz i believe and has hyper-x written on it
Ssd said Kingston but since it was shipped directly from China I have my doubts about the credibility
. 240gb
No gpu, just apu
PSU:
Chassis:
Chassis is non existentant, removed before trying to Sherlock Holmes the electrical issues, will receive new steel or aluminum chassis in 5-7 days
Monitor:
Monitor is 23 inch chi world LCD
And i received the PC from a private seller, came with windows 11 ( pirated of course)
Psu is less than 6 months old
Cannot check bios if i cannot turn PC on but it does NOT look like the stock dos cmos/bios menu.

include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

I understand that this is government property
I would be hesitant to tinker around with such a system, IMHO.

Last edited:

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
What OS are you using now?
What OS did it start with?

If it is a govt PC, why are you using it for personal things like games?

Just so you know, thee US Dept of Defense is actively upgrading to Win 11.
Why do i game on my gov PC ? Because PTSD is a pain .. and they allow the PC for personal use... Since i actively live in the philippines, only 22km from a Canadian naval base...i have time to mess around, my psychiatrist suggested to play turn based 4x games to keep my brain from overheating...been 5 years and I haven't freaked out or had a single panic attack.. currently i play birth of the federation (star trek)

And I'm happy that the US military still use windows I'm sorry if you feel that was an insult, but i was IN NORAD when a 12 year old Chinese kid hacked into those systems umm 10-15 years ago

Last edited:

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
Amd 7680 an apu with a Radeon 7 i believe
Mobo onda A68v+

CPU cooler is stock that has 4 pins but i tested another CPU cooler with 3 pins and sadly it has led because led makes everything faster 😜

Ram is 16gb 1300 mhz i believe and has hyper-x written on it

Ssd said Kingston but since it was shipped directly from China I have my doubts about the credibility
. 240gb

No gpu, just apu

Chassis is non existentant, removed before trying to Sherlock Holmes the electrical issues, will receive new steel or aluminum chassis in 5-7 days

Monitor is 23 inch chi world LCD
And i received the PC from a private sey, came with windows 11 ( pirated of course)
Psu is less than 6 months old
Cannot check bios if i cannot turn PC on but it does not look like dos

And I'm happy that the US military still use windows I'm sorry if you feel that was an insult, but i was IN NORAD when a 12 year old Chinese kid hacked into those systems umm 10-15 years ago

So yeah windows bad 😏
And i thought about my kitchen sink and although it is 20 meters away, the hose going from the faucet to the wall is PVC or some type of rubber

USAFRet

Titan
Why do i game on my gov PC ? Because PTSD is a pain .. and they allow the PC for personal use... Since i actively live in the philippines, only 22km from a Canadian naval base...i have time to mess around, my psychiatrist suggested to play turn based 4x games to keep my brain from overheating...been 5 years and I haven't freaked out or had a single panic attack.. currently i play birth of the federation (star trek)

I took no insult.

But "ordered to remove Windows 11" doesn't quite pass the smell test for me.
EDIT: Yes, a pirated Windows 11 WOULD require removal.

And you've still not said what OS is on it now.

Reactions: Lutfij

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
Since the CPU fan jolts a little bit when I press the power button or the led light flashes for a second on the 3 pin CPU cooler, my suspicion is that the psu just crapped out... Id like to jump the psu by putting a wire into 2 separate holes in the 24 pin connector and if the psu shows signs of life i will just use a multimeter to see if any power is being delivered...

Your thoughts please

And no the psu fan doesn't spin at all since this entire event started

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
Sounds like a replacement PSU is in order.

It may have died due to the dodgy electricity in your residence.
My suspicions exactly, the 2 gents that are expanding the residence up another floor don't exactly look like certified electricians, i this is discouraging sin e id like to have my 1500$cad gaming laptop shipped to me from Montreal to here, and I'm worried about how to power it, before you ask MSI GF65 THINUE.. i have an Intex UPS that is rated at 390 watts but for laptops i believe a modified sine wave inverter is no bueno... I also have 2 12v batteries linked in parallel with 3 or 4 different DC to ac inverters.. none of which are pure sine wave.... The power brick that comes with my msi gaming laptop says it yanks 180 watts to keep the Intel i7 or i9 and the Nvidia 3060 powered .. and to be clear I'm not a Nvidia fanboy... But it does have 64gb of ram and 2 nvme in it.. courtesy of the Trudeau/COVID check... Tbh i have been dying to try out starfield... Shooting aliens... How much fun can that be ???

Sorry forgot to add, the 2 batteries do get a smidge of solar power but nothing above 50 watts.. I used to power it with a Chinese smart charger that kind of pulses power if you keep it on "revive dead battery" mode...but i do see 12v to 14v and amps underneath that on its little LCD screen.. if I am getting at least 15 amps that is easily 12x15.. 180 watts... My only concern is that the charging clamps and inverter clamps are touching.. so I'm not certain that the inverter is giving 100% safe battery power.. if you understand what I'm trying to say

Last edited: