[SOLVED] PC with RTX 3070 underperforming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 1, 2021
SPECS
RTX 3070
RYZEN 5 3600
8x2 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM (XMP is turned on)
Corsair RM750X PSU

I run all games in 1080p and all the temps are fine when I game.

Hey guys. My pc is underperforming in games like Rust and gta, I run like 60-90 fps in both games but when I see benchmarks on youtube with the same specs, they run much higher. I have no idea why.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
GPU runs a bit slower than average, but then again, it's most likely the CPU bottleneck causing that low perfomance.
As i said earlier, your average FPS in GTA V seems to not be too far off what you describe, 60-90fps that's pretty much in line with most systems with your config, running at that resolution. There is nothing wrong with the system itself.

Get yourself a 1440p screen, and you'll see an instant improvement, or cross your fingers and pray that Nvidia will improve their drivers.
I dont use a stock cooler, I use the Corsair h100i v2
If you are hitting 60-65 with just a browser open then there may be something wrong with the way you installed the cpu mount for the liquid cooler. The 3600 is a pretty cool cpu to run and you got a fairly large AIO on it. You should be seeing idle temps with just a browser between 35-45c and spike temps to 65c. You can also see up to about 70c on a 3600 on sustained loads with that kind of cooler. There is something wrong with your installation of the h100i on the CPU, your temps are too high, unless its 45-50C in your room.

May 1, 2021
Well yes and no. As i've said, unless you have a PC exactly like the one you saw benchmarking on is 100% identical to yours. Then there can be many small tweaks done that increases his performance.

He could have better cooling, i mentioned your earlier 79 degrees CPU temp was high if you're idling, you never answered what you were doing. Or what your cooling solution is.

His ram could have lower CL rating, etc CL14 instead of CL16

He could run his games on his SSD instead of HDD

His GPU could be overclocked, you seem to have the Founders edition, which is a bit slower than 3rd party oc ones. However you can easily OC the card to those levels if you have good cooling.

And as i've said. None of the RTX cards are really good 1080p due to the bottleneck.

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=HxkoxTDcA8s&t=26s

This one seems to be around the same perfomance as you describe.
But can Nvidia drivers fix this bottleneck or do I "need" to buy a better cpu?

May 1, 2021
If you are hitting 60-65 with just a browser open then there may be something wrong with the way you installed the cpu mount for the liquid cooler. The 3600 is a pretty cool cpu to run and you got a fairly large AIO on it. You should be seeing idle temps with just a browser between 35-45c and spike temps to 65c. You can also see up to about 70c on a 3600 on sustained loads with that kind of cooler. There is something wrong with your installation of the h100i on the CPU, your temps are too high, unless its 45-50C in your room.
Ah okay, but maybe its just because I didnt win the silicon lottery and just have a hotter cpu than other. Because this also happened before I put new thermal paste on like 3 months ago.

Ah okay, but maybe its just because I didnt win the silicon lottery and just have a hotter cpu than other. Because this also happened before I put new thermal paste on like 3 months ago.
The "silicon lottery" you are referring too would not account for that much extra heat. Only a few degrees C can be accounted for that kind of stuff. Either you mounted the CPU block wrong, you mounted the bracket wrong, or there is something wrong with the h100i. How old is the radiator?

May 1, 2021
The "silicon lottery" you are referring too would not account for that much extra heat. Only a few degrees C can be accounted for that kind of stuff. Either you mounted the CPU block wrong, you mounted the bracket wrong, or there is something wrong with the h100i. How old is the radiator?
like 5 years old now...

Jaegeren

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015
Check the userbenchmark score for his gpu, there may be something going on there...

Well if his GPU temps are within the norm, which he mentioned. I definitely suspect it's more of a CPU issue rather than a GPU one. Especially now that he mentions those temps are with an AIO, if he is hitting 60-65 with just browsing and general usage, i easily think he can reach the 90-95c in gaming, and causing the CPU to throttle, the resolution doesn't help neither as at 1080p his CPU is put to work more as the GPU is just waiting for the CPU to catch up. Yeah for a stock cooler you're definitely right, the temps are within the norm there.

And at that resolution there are just general issues with the Nvidia drivers, AMD equivalent cards are running much faster at 1080p
the whole silicon lottery thing is usually almost negligible as you said, but does affect what how high he can OC his card.

Last edited:

Jaegeren

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015
But can Nvidia drivers fix this bottleneck or do I "need" to buy a better cpu?

They probably will, but idk. They haven't made an official statement on it yet as far as i know.
Now that you mentioned your temps and cooler, i would suspect your CPU is starting to throttle. Doesn't help with your resolution neither as i've said earlier, at 1080p your CPU is working harder. Your GPU is in general just idling and waiting for your CPU to catch up. As at that low res games tend to offload more processing to the CPU. The higher resolution, and more of the workload is put on the GPU.

That's why you can see 1440p, 4k benchmarks where the CPU is sitting at a 12- 25% load, while the GPU utilization is at 99%

As helper said, get a new AIO, yours seem to have lost it's cooling liquid over the years. Before you do anything else.

Last edited:
May 1, 2021
They probably will, but idk. They haven't made an official statement on it yet as far as i know.
Now that you mentioned your temps and cooler, i would suspect your CPU is starting to throttle. Doesn't help with your resolution neither as i've said earlier, at 1080p your CPU is working harder. Your GPU is in general just idling and waiting for your CPU to catch up. As at that low res games tend to offload more processing to the CPU. The higher resolution, and more of the workload is put on the GPU.

That's why you can see 1440p, 4k benchmarks where the CPU is sitting at a 12- 25% load, while the GPU utilization is at 99%

As helper said, get a new AIO, yours seem to have lost it's cooling liquid over the years. Before you do anything else.
Damn... New monitor and a new AIO.

Damn... New monitor and a new AIO.
Could be worse, Now you have a much better monitor and if you decide you don't think its worth it you can return it. Please make sure you come back and let us know how its going after you get the parts in. I suspect something else maybe going on but its harder to tell right now with it potentially being fixed with a new CPU cooler.

TRENDING THREADS