Question PC Won’t boot after installing new CPU and enabling TPM.

Feb 24, 2024
I just installed a new Ryzen 7 1700x into my Dell Inspiron 5675, upgrading from my Ryzen 3 1200.

At first, a message came asking whether or not i wanted to reset my fTPM keys. After clicking ‘Yes’, (I had never used bitlocker in my life) my PC would not load into Windows 11, and now gives an infinite loop showing ‘Preparing automatic repair’.

I struggled, but after hours, I managed to somehow reinstall Windows even though it had broken previous times when restarting due to the boot loop. I was able to run it but after enabling TPM in the BIOS the boot loop returns, and the problem persists.

When replacing the new CPU with my Ryzen 3 1200, it boots perfectly, so I don't think it’s a problem with 1st Gen Ryzen.

I have searched everywhere for a fix but none work. My BIOS is up to date version 1.5.0, Secure Boot is enabled.

Oct 14, 2023
Hello @lloyd2k,

I hope you are well today. I am @Vikko151, a slightly new user, but still able to try helping you. 😉

So, the situation when you enable fTPM is that it shows "Preparing Automatic Repair". I would be worried as it is a problem with your CPU's incompatibility. The Ryzen 7 1700X isn't officialy Windows 11-ready, but I'm pretty sure it is capable of. I used for almost half a year Windows 11 on a i7-4790 without any problem. But the problem probably revolves on the fTMP. The fTMP is probably not used propely by Windows 11. But, whatever, you should mabye see if one of those solutions work:

1. Try repairing Windows 11 with the installation key. Thankfully, the Windows 11 installation includes a "Repair this PC" button just after you put your language preferences. You can mabye use this to repair you Windows 11 problem. You can use the steps a) to d) below to find the "Repair this PC". Then, just click "Troubleshooting" and try doing an automatic repair. If it doesn't work, you can of course use different methods on internet, like "sfc /scannow" or "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" in the command prompt.

2. Have you got another drive? Try installing Windows 10 on it to see if, like I said before, the OS is the problem. Else, you can create another partition on your system drive to try installing Windows 10 with the following:

a) Insert your installation key in your computer.

b) Boot on the USB key. You can press F12 to launch the boot menu on a Dell Inspiron if I don't lie.

c) When the installation is ready, choose your language preferences.

d) Have you seen the "Repair this PC" text? Click this button to access the power on this little installation key. You will get on a blue interface, a little bit like the blue screen of death, but here, it leads to the life.

e) Click on "Troubleshooting". Click on the Command prompt, one of the most powerful tool on the installation key.

f) The partitioning tool of the Windows 10 installation can't reduce partitions, we're going to use diskpart. Type "diskpart" in the command prompt.

g) Now, type "list volume" and you will see all volumes on your disk•s. Find the system partition, it often has the letter C, and take note of it's number (We'll call it "x") and it's tall (We'll call it "y"). You can also find it with it's size too.

h) After that, type "select volume x" by replacing x with your system volume's number.

i) Then, type "shrink desired=0.5y", and 0,5y is the half on your "y" value. The problem is, your value has to be in MB, and the "y" one is probably in GBs. You can use a calculator, and do y * 1024 / 2. With 512 GB, it gives 262’144 MBs. Type the result instead of "0.5y".

j) You successfully reduced your volume by half. Now restart your computer, press F12 again, and launch the installation of Windows 10 again.

k) Continue the setup normally, by making sure you install Windows 10 on the unallocated space. To be able to install on the unallocated space, click on the space in question and click on "New".

After, you should normally boot else on Windows 10, else on Windows 11. If only the volumes are listed, choose the second one. When you shrink a volume, the free space will always be after the shrunk volume. Install Windows 10 like nothing was, with fTMP enable. If you don't get any issue on Windows 10, well, stay on it. Else, we'll have to try something else.

I hope this (long) answer helps, and enjoy your day!

EDIT: I doubt it is a problem with the OS' health.

@Vikko151

Last edited: