Question PC won’t get past BIOS screen, windows won’t load. Cycling through post.

Mar 19, 2023
Hi, I have been using my computer normally this morning with no issues at all, restarted my computer and suddenly I can’t get past BIOS post screen. (Press F2 to enter BIOS) waiting at this screen for about five seconds without entering bios will result in my computer post cycling, I just hear the post beep and see that screen over and over every ten seconds, the PC stays powered on and I’m not getting any beep codes except the standard single post beep.

It just keeps cycling like this and won’t actually enter the windows loading screen.

I’ve tried reseating RAM, changing slots, trying spare RAM and changing power supply cable and socket. Cleaning around RAM insertions and sticks as well as CPU and general dust cleaning.

Tried numerous settings in BIOS including factory defaults and reset CMOS battery twice, booted without CMOS.

Is there any chance this is a OS issue as I’ve looked around and everything says PSU or RAM but i don’t believe that to be the issue. Could anything else cause this?

Is my best bet to just throw a Windows installation media on a USB and reinstall?

Thanks.

Mar 19, 2023
Full system specs eith make model and how old is the PSU.

More then likely its a failing PSU that needs replaced.
Hi,

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME H310M-A R 2.0
CPU: Intel i5 9400f
GPU: GeForce GTX 1660Ti
PSU: Corsair VS650
RAM: 2x Oloy 16 GB DDR4 3000mhz U-DIMM
SSD: XPG M2 SX6000NP 128gb
HDD: ADATA 1TB

The whole system is 3 years old.

Edit: It’s just weird as I would expect a PSU failure to appear differently everything was perfectly fine and I restarted manually everything seemed normal no PSU cut off or system randomly restarting etc.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Hi, I have been using my computer normally this morning with no issues at all, restarted my computer and suddenly I can’t get past BIOS post screen. (Press F2 to enter BIOS) waiting at this screen for about five seconds without entering bios will result in my computer post cycling, I just hear the post beep and see that screen over and over every ten seconds, the PC stays powered on and I’m not getting any beep codes except the standard single post beep.

It just keeps cycling like this and won’t actually enter the windows loading screen.

I’ve tried reseating RAM, changing slots, trying spare RAM and changing power supply cable and socket. Cleaning around RAM insertions and sticks as well as CPU and general dust cleaning.

Tried numerous settings in BIOS including factory defaults and reset CMOS battery twice, booted without CMOS.

Is there any chance this is a OS issue as I’ve looked around and everything says PSU or RAM but i don’t believe that to be the issue. Could anything else cause this?

Is my best bet to just throw a Windows installation media on a USB and reinstall?

Thanks.
1 short beep, DRAM refresh failure

Mar 19, 2023
1 short beep, DRAM refresh failure
Hi, thanks for the response.

The one short beep I am hearing is my motherboard signalling that POST was successful. This has happened since I’ve had the computer, DRAM refresh is also one single beep but it’s a different more low pitched tone. I’ve had that before too.

Thanks.
If you have something bootable on a flash stick plug it in and see if it will boot.

Mar 19, 2023
If you have something bootable on a flash stick plug it in and see if it will boot.
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Currently waiting on this. I have a USB but the only other laptops/PCs I have are all MacOS which is an absolute pain to setup installation media on so will likely get someone with Windows to help me out either later today or tomorrow.

Will post updates.