Question PC won’t post/boot after installing new M.2 SSD

Nov 19, 2023
PC won't post/boot after installing new m.2 SSD

Been having issues with my PC for the past couple days after I switched out my SSD to a new one. Keep in mind nothing else was changed, and PC worked perfectly fine prior.
————————————
Assembled PC components:
-CPU: intel I5-8600K
-GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
-MOBO: Msi gaming pro carbon z370
-PSU: Corsair CX650M
-2 sticks of RAM- ballistix/crucial 16GB
-CPU COOLER: cooler master
————————————

All issues started when I switched out my current SSD with a new one.
PC would turn on and then turn off in a few seconds before it could boot.
Out of suspension, I completely reassembled the pc from scratch and cleaned it, however, same thing issue kept happening. I even added some new thermal paste. CMOS battery was also taken out and replaced.
Key take-aways:
PC will stay on (without access to BIOS) if the GPU is plugged into the mobo but must not be powered from PSU via PCIE or else it turns off like usual.
This said, If GPU is powered with just 6pins, pc will stay on and give error message, “please power down and connect PCIE cables”.
When all 8pins are connected, however, it does the same thing as before and turns off in a few seconds. I have purchased a brand new power supply with new cables, and nothing changes at all. same issues as before.
Like mentioned, I am unable to access BIOS no matter what is connected or disconnected.
Not sure if my pc should be able to run without the GPU plugged into the MOBO, as I’m pretty sure I don’t need it since my processor has integrated graphics.

Im really unsure what I’m missing, but I would dearly appreciate any kind of technical assistance or recommendations for why this issue is happening.

I would also like to mention that the EZ DEBUG LEDS give the following codes:
-when gpu is plugged in but not powered: DRAM flash>VGA long>CPU flash>PC turns off
-when GPU is plugged in and powered with 6pins only: VGA light infinite until powered off manually.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 19, 2023
did you remove the SSD again and try getting into BIOS?

which new and which old SSD model did you use?
Yep. I have tried to boot with the SSD plugged in and without. I also tried to just boot with the basics like one stick of ram, cpu, cpu cooler, and the psu. The old model SSD was a Samsung 970 M.2 250gb. The new is a crucial P3 1T M.2. Back in the beginning of the troubleshooting process I tried to plug my old (working) SSD back in to the same M.2 slot to replicate my pc when it was working and I still had the same issue happening.

TRENDING THREADS