Question PC won’t post due to incorrect memory frequency set

Dec 23, 2019
After completing my PC build, I accidentally set my memory frequency in the UEFI settings to 2133 MHz, instead of 3000 MHz or whatever is close to that. This caused the system to not POST. I’ve tried resetting the CMOS multiple times using a paper clip, but I haven’t been having any luck so far. The DRAM light stays solid yellow then the machine restarts until I turn it off. Any suggestions?

Specs
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
Memory: Corsair Vegenance 3000 MHz
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: GTX 1660 Ti

Last edited:
Yellow light is RAM problems.....

How much RAM do you have 16GB? If so uninstall and reseat in the 2nd and 4th slots. If that does not help use a single stick and try each slot if you get it posting then you can find out if it is a stick or a slot that has failed.

The setting of 2133hrz is a normal default setting so it is unlikely to be the culprit. Did the PC post before the accidental change to RAM speed?

Is XMP activated in BIOS?

Another cause of this could be a bent pin on either the CPU or the MOBO socket that recives RAM signal, I had it once with that Asus board and had to update to a x470 as I could not get the board pin back up!! Real pain !!

Dec 23, 2019
I do have 16 GB of RAM. I just tried reseating the RAM again and nothing worked. I tried putting one stick of RAM in each slot and then attempted to boot it, but I'm still getting the same issue. The PC did POST before and I was even able to get Windows running too. I do not know if XMP is enabled.

I’ve tried resetting the CMOS multiple times using a paper clip
What exactly is "paper clip method"?
Paper clips sometimes have plastic coating. This can prevent making a proper contact.

You have to connect 2 clrtc pins with a jumper.
Alternatively you can:
remove battery,​
disconnect pc from power,​
press and hold power button,​
(this is redundant, but to be double sure) connect battery contacts on board.​
This would reset BIOS settings too.

Dec 23, 2019
What exactly is "paper clip method"?
Paper clips sometimes have plastic coating. This can prevent making a proper contact.

You have to connect 2 clrtc pins with a jumper.
Alternatively you can:
remove battery,​
disconnect pc from power,​
press and hold power button,​
(this is redundant, but to be double sure) connect battery contacts on board.​
This would reset BIOS settings too.
I tried this method and I'm confident that the CMOS was cleared. When I first turned it on, there was a solid yellow DRAM light but the PC wasn't restarting as it used to, which I guess is progress. But then after a couple of tries to get it to POST, it went back to the same behavior as before.

Not sure what to do now. It could be an issue with the memory itself, but I don't think it is.

Dec 23, 2019
Did you feel 2 clicks when you inserted the ram?
I have the big bother to your mobo the x470 and 1 side does not flip over but I still feel 2 clicks when I insert the ram Into slots A2 and B2 2nd and 4th slots working right from the cpu.
Yes, I felt the two clicks when I inserted my memory sticks.