Question PC won’t turn on after testing a different GPU ?

Nov 8, 2022
Hi everyone,

I was trying to see if my old R7 370 is working so I put it in my perfectly working PC (after DDU driver uninstall). Pc did boot but didn’t post image and the troubleshooting light on MB said that GPU isn’t working. Ok, so the GPU is dead, I turned PC off by pressing case button. Switched my regular GPU back but now nothing is happening, PC isn’t starting at all.
What I tried:
  1. Connecting the pins to power on PC directly from MB
  2. Clearing CMOS and removing battery
  3. Trying different PSU
  4. Checked cables
  5. Tried other PCIE slot
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance :)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

Trying different PSU
Include all spare parts used during your troubleshooting process, in the PSU's case, also include it's age.

Nov 8, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

Trying different PSU
Include all spare parts used during your troubleshooting process, in the PSU's case, also include it's age.

Oh, of course, sorry for not posting specs.

CPU: Ryzen 5600x with Hyper 212 Black edition cooler
Motherboard: Msi B550-A Pro
Ram: HyperX 2 x 8GB 3200 Mhz
SSD/HDD: Samsung 980 Nvme 1GB
GPU: XFX RX 6600XT
PSU: Thermaltake Smart Se 530W 2015
Evga SuperNOVA P6 650W 2022
Chassis: NZXT H510 Flow
Monitor: Philips 24inch 75hz 1080p

Lutfij

Titan
You didn't mention which unit was initially used on the build.

That PSU is not exactly a PSU, more like an expensive paperweight. Try and borrow a reliably built, branded PSU that has 650W at the entire system's disposal and see if that alleviates the issue.

When you used the EVGA unit, did you make sure to remove the Thermaltake cables?

As for your board, can you walk us through how you cleared the CMOS?

Nov 8, 2022
You didn't mention which unit was initially used on the build.

That PSU is not exactly a PSU, more like an expensive paperweight. Try and borrow a reliably built, branded PSU that has 650W at the entire system's disposal and see if that alleviates the issue.

When you used the EVGA unit, did you make sure to remove the Thermaltake cables?

As for your board, can you walk us through how you cleared the CMOS?

I was using EVGA PSU when testing the R7 370, Thermaltake was in the PC before, I recently changed it, but it was still working last time I used it, so I tried powering PC with it also.

Yes I used only EVGA cables for EVGA PSU.
I removed the battery and shorted the two pins to reset CMOS, after 10 minutes I returned the battery. During all this, PC wasn’t powered, it was disconected from the wall.

Thank you for answering!

Last edited: