Question PC won’t turn on with the CPU plugged in ?

Jul 29, 2022
Specs:
CPU: Intel i7-8700
MB: Asus ROG Strix H370-F Gaming
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB pro 32gb (2 x 16)
GPU: Geforce 1050 ti
psu: EVGA 1000gq gold+

so I’m here today because I got a new psu (the one listed above) and when I went to set it up nothing happened. So I started checking everything one by one and have come to the conclusion that whenever I have the 8 pin cpu wire plugged in to the MB it doesn’t turn on.

Here is a video to better show what’s going on
View: https://youtu.be/6OXY_vG6cwQ
EDIT: SOLVED, PROBLEM WAS THE CPU WIRE WASNT COMPATIBLE SO IT WOULDN'T TURN ON, GOT A NEW WIRE FROM EVGA AND EVERYTHING IS FINE 😁

Last edited:
Specs:
CPU: Intel i7-8700
MB: Asus ROG Strix H370-F Gaming
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB pro 32gb (2 x 16)
GPU: Geforce 1050 ti
psu: EVGA 1000gq gold+

so I’m here today because I got a new psu (the one listed above) and when I went to set it up nothing happened. So I started checking everything one by one and have come to the conclusion that whenever I have the 8 pin cpu wire plugged in to the MB it doesn’t turn on.

Here is a video to better show what’s going on
View: https://youtu.be/6OXY_vG6cwQ
Have you tried to use a different CPU power cords instead of the straight 8 pin plug try using the 4+4pin power cord most of the time this works, I have noticed the 8pin plugs are problem matic a lot!!!!

Jul 29, 2022
Have you tried a bios reset by pulling the cmos from the Mobo with the psu unplugged and hold power button on tower for 30s x2s
Yeah I’ve tried this and still the same problem, im not sure if both of the cables are bad or if it’s something else. Just crazy because all I did was shut it down and then it just would come back on

Jul 29, 2022
OK, you can't use an old CPU cable on the new PSU.

Try to reset the CMOS of the motherboard.

Why did you buy a PSU with outdated platform and useless 1000w?
New to computers and just simply thought I’d need it, didn’t look into it too much to be honest, I thought it was a sure upgrade from what I had so I got it

Jul 29, 2022
For now it's fine but if you want to take the unit to a new system with high-end RTX 3000/4000/RX 69xx/7xxx you can run in issues.
I see I see, so the psu wouldn’t be compatible with a 3000 series card. Do you know if I would be able to work around it if I upgrade to a 300 0 series, or would it be best to try and get a new psu to go with the card ?

New to computers and just simply thought I’d need it, didn’t look into it too much to be honest, I thought it was a sure upgrade from what I had so I got it
What modular cable are you using for 8pin motherboard connection? How is it connected?

The cable should have "CPU" written on connectors.
8pin CPU connector goes into PSU - CPU1 or CPU2 sockets.
4+4pin connector goes into motherboard (4+4 gets combined to make 8pin connector).

Jul 29, 2022
What modular cable are you using for 8pin motherboard connection? How is it connected?

The cable should have "CPU" written on connectors.
8pin CPU connector goes into PSU - CPU1 or CPU2 sockets.
4+4pin connector goes into motherboard (4+4 gets combined to make 8pin connector).
Sorry for responding so late, problem was indeed the cpu wire, got one from EVGA themselves and everything is smooth now 😁

Reactions: white.a.drew