[SOLVED] PC won`t turn on after memory stick swap

Jan 28, 2019
I added a new memory stick (8gb ddr4, 2400Hz ,single rank) to my MOBO with the intention of making a dual channel memory set up (the old stick is the same but it is dual rank. Possible problem?). At first, the new memory wasn`t recognized and after trying different slots combinations, i got black screen. The PC turns on, the fans spin, leds on MOBO light up, but the monitor displays nothing, and the HDD red led won`t light up.

Already checked the power supply cables, removed the CMOS battery and tried using just the old memory with no success. What could be the problem? Thanks in advance.

PC set up:

Asus PRIME Z270-K
i7 7700k
Crucial ddr 4 - 8GB - 2400Hz - dual rank (old)
Crucial ddr 4 - 8GB - 2400Hz - single rank (new)
Gtx 1060 6GB
SSD Samsung 250GB
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 240
Thermaltake 600W

(English is not my mother language)

Solution
You most likely ran into a RAM compatibility problem. Take out that new RAM and place that old RAM stick into it's original slot. Unplug your PC from the wall and reset your CMOS again. Then, hold down your power button for about 30 seconds. Plug in your PC and attempt to boot.

Jwpanz

Honorable
You most likely ran into a RAM compatibility problem. Take out that new RAM and place that old RAM stick into it's original slot. Unplug your PC from the wall and reset your CMOS again. Then, hold down your power button for about 30 seconds. Plug in your PC and attempt to boot.

Solution
Jan 28, 2019

Thanks a lot!!! It worked. Now, do you think is there anything i could do to overcome this compatibility problem?

Jwpanz

Honorable
The first thing to do is consult the motherboard QVL list found here: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z270-K/HelpDesk_QVL/ This will list out which RAM modules are compatible with the board. Adding new RAM alongside your older RAM can cause these sorts of issues.

To avoid this, you can do one of two things: buy another stick from the same brand with the exact same model number, size, and timing. They need to be identical. But this may not even work at times.

Second, you could buy a new kit of RAM. A new kit yields the best results, overall, since the modules are manufactured at the same time and paired together. This cuts out the possibility of running into compatibility issues with your older sticks. Even duplicate RAM modules purchased at different times may not play well together.

Jan 28, 2019

Got it. Thanks again for the help!!!