[SOLVED] PC wont boot after doing mbr2gpt convert using third party software

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 30, 2022
Hi All,

I hope you can help me, so i have a custom built gaming pc i had built when i was at university in 2020 and i will list the specs i remember or can see as i now do not have access to my uni email account where i had the email with the full specs in.

I have:

Windows 10 Home operating system
Gigabyte H310M S2H 2.0 Motherboard
Intel i5 Processor
32GB DDR4 Ram
512GB Western Digital PC SN730 NVMe SSD
Gigabyte GeForce® GTX 1660 OC 6G Graphics Card
500w PSU (I think its 500w or maybe 550w??)

So what i was trying to do was get my PC ready so i could upgrade to Windows 11, and to do that i had to change two main things, with the first being to enable TPM which i did successfully within BIOS by enabling Intel platform trust technology (PPT). After this i needed to do the mbr2gpt convert so as to enable secure boot, which i used available software which claims to be able to do the convert whilst still logged into windows 10. Before attempting the convert i deleted the recovery partition as you cannot do the convert if you have more than 3 separate partitions shown in Disk Management Console. I started the convert but got an error message which i cannot remember what it said but I'm sure it was an exceptional error code with lots of numbers, i know, i know, that's no help whatsoever lol.

I was still logged into windows and still able to use everything as normal until i restarted the PC as It said i needed to restart the pc which is what i did and that's when i got the boot error message 'A disk read error occurred press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart' after the BIOS selection screen (i.e press F12 to enter bla bla bla).

I looked for a possible solution online which is when i found the below information:

Boot from Windows installation media into command prompt mode.
Execute these and show command output
(upload screenshot to imgur.com and post link)

diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume

If you have more than one disk, then also list partitions of remaining disks
select disk 1
list partition
select disk 2
list partition

Now when i type that in command prompt using a recovery media usb so i can access Command Prompt i can see the partitions on my SSD however i cant boot into windows. This is a link to pic of my results using the above commands:

View: https://imgur.com/a/DVkUswW

Let me know if you need any further in for etc,

Thanks in advance

Mark

Solution
Screenshots below:
Bootloader partition is too small. Only 50MB. Recommended size is 350MB - 500MB.
bcdboot command is failing because of this.
You'll have to create a new bootloader.
Execute following and show screenshot.
If you get any errors, then stop immediately.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 3
shrink desired=500
create partition primary size=500
format fs=ntfs quick
active
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot E:\windows /s H: /v
Nov 30, 2022
It has iGPU. Then you're good.

Go into BIOS,
disable CSM,
enable Secure Boot,
load default Secure Boot Keys.

After booting into windows you can check Secure Boot State with msinfo32.
i disabled CSM, then enabled secure boot and i got this message pop up

''Secure boot can be enabled when system in user mode. Repeat operation after enrolling platform key (PK)''

Did you check msinfo32 ?
It should show Secure Boot State - On.

msinfo-sb-on.png