Question PC wont boot after installing an M.2 SSD ?

Jul 20, 2024
Hey yall,
a few days ago i tried to install a Crucial P3 Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD. After rebooting my PC, its gets stuck while booting and enters a reboot cycle after getting a blue screen with "UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP".
I removed the Crucial P3 SSD but still get the same error.

What ive tried already:
  • Checked all cables and power connections
  • Reset BIOS back to default settings (No XMP, no reBAR etc.)
  • Tested different slots for the old SSD(s) and RAM sticks
  • Tried to get into windows recovery mode after stopping the boot process 3 times in a row but it just gets stuck on the Gigabyte screen.
I don't have the security software that been causing all the blue screens around the world just recently.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be very thankful!

My specs:
MBD: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X
GPU: Hellhound 7800 XT 16GB
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: GSKILL Aegis 16GB DDR4
2 x 2.5" SSDs

Hey yall,
a few days ago i tried to install a Crucial P3 Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD. After rebooting my PC, its gets stuck while booting and enters a reboot cycle after getting a blue screen with "UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP".
I removed the Crucial P3 SSD but still get the same error.

What ive tried already:
  • Checked all cables and power connections
  • Reset BIOS back to default settings (No XMP, no reBAR etc.)
  • Tested different slots for the old SSD(s) and RAM sticks
  • Tried to get into windows recovery mode after stopping the boot process 3 times in a row but it just gets stuck on the Gigabyte screen.
I don't have the security software that been causing all the blue screens around the world just recently.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be very thankful!

My specs:
MBD: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X
GPU: Hellhound 7800 XT 16GB
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: GSKILL Aegis 16GB DDR4
2 x 2.5" SSDs
Check MB manual, in some cases some SATA ports are disabled when M.2 is used. Which OS and was it installed in CSM/Legacy or UEFI mode, those have to match with BIOS settings.