[SOLVED] Pc won't boot after overclocking ram

mrstrong000

Commendable
Feb 18, 2018
I recently purchased two extra ram sticks same as the sticks I have. I had the old ones overclocked to 2993, stock is 2193 and everything was fine, after adding the new sticks the pc won't turn on so i reseted the CMOS and the pc turned on perfectly fine. But then I tried to overclock the ram to 2993 as before but the PC won't turn on. I reseted the CMOS again and pc turned on fine. I'm curious why the overclock isn't working and how to fix it

Solution
What cpu? If it's Intel, I'd say a memory incompatability with timings or perhaps not enough memory controller voltage, if it's Ryzen, then your issue is with Ryzen in general. They absolutely do not like ram speeds above 2400MHz when using 4 sticks, it messes with the infinity fabric, which is based on the ram speeds.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Unfortunately mixed RAM modules are not guaranteed compatibility. RAM is only guaranteed in the form sold (from the same pack) regardless as to whether they are the same make/model/timings. This is due to a very delicate and constantly changing manufacturing process.

So theoretically you could buy 2 of the exact same model RAM, but from two different packs, and they will not work with one another.

You may want to check if the new RAM works normally by itself, if so, then it is likely a compatibility problem with your new and old RAM.

mrstrong000

Commendable
Feb 18, 2018
Yes, they work alone, and they work together at the stock speed. If I try to change the speed they stop working. I'm sure if it has anything to do with voltage or someone sort of power issue. Tbh I'm a newbie. I didn't play around with any settings, I just changed the speed from profile 1 to profile 2.

mrstrong000

Commendable
Feb 18, 2018
The ram im using is a pack of Hyper x Predator 2x4gb 3000mhz
The new ram is the exact same. So now I have 4x4gb 3000mhz ram.
Do you know any recommended overclock settings for the ram??

recommended?

Memory manufacturers won't guarantee such combinations to be compatible together. XMP profiles are for memory in the form it was sold, not for use of multiple kits of memory.

With multiple kits of memory, you might try running at a lower clock speed or higher voltage to get them working.

You might consider using a single kit of memory next time, instead of what you have now - multiple kits with no guarantee to work together.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What cpu? If it's Intel, I'd say a memory incompatability with timings or perhaps not enough memory controller voltage, if it's Ryzen, then your issue is with Ryzen in general. They absolutely do not like ram speeds above 2400MHz when using 4 sticks, it messes with the infinity fabric, which is based on the ram speeds.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Solution