[SOLVED] PC won't boot after Radeon driver update

joe-pringle

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
I installed updated drivers for my 5700xt, but now my computer completely fails to restart. When i power on my PC, the MOBO cpu light turns orange, then red, then white. The only response from my monitor is periodic waking, as if it's detected that there is a device connected to its DVI cable, but not receiving any actual data.

Only had this card for a year, and don't run overclocking on it. How can i fix this??

MOBO = Asus ROG Strix B450f
GPU = Radeon 5700xt
CPU = Ryzen 3600

Solution
So you can't even access the BIOS?
wonder if resetting CMOS would at least get you into it.
driver updates (unless they included firmware) shouldn't stop bios showing video. It can stop windows, but it shouldn't have stopped bios
white is in fact VGA - Page 1-10 here - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ING/E14401_ROG_STRIX_B450-F_GAMING_UM_WEB.pdf

most fixes suggest uninstalling GPU drivers but its rather difficult if PC won't boot.

I assume you don't have another GPU you can put in, even if its just to uninstall the AMD drivers.

Colif

Win 11 Master
driver updates (unless they included firmware) shouldn't stop bios showing video. It can stop windows, but it shouldn't have stopped bios
white is in fact VGA - Page 1-10 here - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ING/E14401_ROG_STRIX_B450-F_GAMING_UM_WEB.pdf

most fixes suggest uninstalling GPU drivers but its rather difficult if PC won't boot.

I assume you don't have another GPU you can put in, even if its just to uninstall the AMD drivers.

Solution

joe-pringle

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019

Ok so it's been a few days. I actually fixed the problem, but it seems to have returned. this time at least i've narrowed down the issue.

i originally removed the CMOS before writing the original post, but that didn't work. i tried it again, but this time left it out longer, and everything started working fine, so i figured it was just a bios issue.

However today the problem has kind of half returned. I can still boot in my operation system with no problems, but i can't access the BIOS at all. There's no splash screen that shows up before the OS, and even selecting the option in windows to restart into the BIOS menu doesn't work, it just boots directly into the OS.

I remove the CMOS again multiple times with the PSU unplugged for like 30-60 seconds at a time, but this hasn't fixed it. Any ideas on what's happening?

update:
i wiped the operating from my dri ve and replaced it with a fresh install of Manjaro, and again reset the CMOS. i've found that if i plug a cheap capture card into my GPU and the other end into my laptop, i can see the flash screen, bios and operating system fine every time. Using this method, my main monitor boots up as a second monitor without any hiccups. Then i can unplug the laptop and use my main monitor as the primary monitor without any issues also.

The issue seems to be that it just can't figure out how to drive my monitor during a boot. This might have something to do with the fact it is 5k by 1440p resolution. Although, it is strange that it has never ran into these issues before. i have been using this monitor for 8 months.

Last edited: