Pc wont boot : error '99' on bottom right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tipyyyy

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Hey i recently changed cases from a fractal design core 1000 to a zalman z11 plus. All fans are working and everything looks fine although when booted it displays a code '99' on the bottom right.. It will not get past this point and i cannot get into bios as the computer will not boot.. I have tried taking my grqphics card out and have tried taking the mobo out the case and trying there although there is no luck :(. My pc specs: msi h61 (G3) - intel pentium g860 - corsair value select 4gb ram - corsair cx500 - zalman z11 plus - seagate barracuda hdd - liteon dvd burner. Help would be greatly appreciated..

Solution
I'm not sure; you'll have to check their site or contact their customer support people. If they don't, however, you should be able to contact MSI directly.

Skeefers

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Aside from doublechecking that all of your devices have power, to include both connections for the motherboard in particular, and that all of your peripherals (drives, USB devices, add-on cards) are al connected properly, the only thing that may cause a problem would be if your case's front panel connectors aren't plugged into the correct pins on the motherboard. This could cause a short on the wrong pins that may give you issues booting. Basically, just check again that everything is powered and connected correctly to ensure that there aren't any issues with that. If it still won't boot, try disconnecting all of your drives except the boot drive, any add-on cards that aren't necessary for the BIOS to be visible (leave 1 graphics if you have 2, but nothing else), and all USB devices except your keyboard and mouse, then try booting again to see what happens.

Le me know what you try, and whether or not it works, and if it still won't boot we can try a few other things.

Tipyyyy

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Just double checked, all front panel connectors are in the right place, i also tried taking out the graphics card and dvd drive.. No luck still will not pass the screen with '99' on the bottom :(

Skeefers

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
From what I can find on the MSI forums, this code 99 typically means the motherboard is dead and needs to be replaced. The code is usually seen when the board has either experienced a power surge, or was short circuited. I suggest you try resetting the CMOS to see if that helps by unplugging your power cable from the PSU, pulling the CMOS battery off of the motherboard, then holding the power button for 10-15 seconds. Once you've done this, reinstall the battery, plug the power cord back in, and try to boot. If it still won't work, you'll need to replace the board; if the warranty is still valid, you should be able to get a replacement by following the RMA process from either the place you purchased the motherboard, or MSI themselves. If the warranty has expired, however, you'll need to by a new motherboard.

Tipyyyy

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Only had the board 3 months:(, already reset the cmos did not do anything, thanks for the help anyway :)

Tipyyyy

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
I brought it from amazon, will it still have a guarantee?

oberon12

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
I get this occasionally. Sometimes it's just a quick thing and goes ahead and boots, other times it just stops, but I just re-boot and it works fine. Never waited to see if it would boot some time later. My guess is it has to do with the BIOS GUI thing, for what it's worth, since in my case it either goes ahead and boots or loads after a reboot. My PC works fine, so I don't think the board is dead; I don't have any other issues, at least in Win 7. MSI board; sorry, I don't know which one, but one of those 'overclockers' things. I guess I should have found out before posting. lol

CharlieBigfoot

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
I am having the same problem as oberon12. I have a 970a SLI Krait edition mobo. When i power on i get "99" in the corner then it just freezes. After a reboot everything works fine; except a few numbers that appear for 2-3 seconds before the msi logo appears.

Jorge_6

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015
I have a msi 970a SLI Krait edition motherboard and had the same error code on startup. I disconnected all usb devices except for keyboard and mouse. Was able to get past the error code that way.

krhall3273

Distinguished
May 23, 2008

I have had several MSI motherboards that do the hang on startup with error code 99 in the corner. I have found that they are ok with a PS2 keyboard but will hang on startup with the 99 code in the lower right corner when it also has a PS2 mouse. If I use a USB mouse it works fine every time. I don't understand why so I simply use a USB mouse and all is well?

Lukey_AMD

Reputable
May 29, 2014
Sorry to come across as a complete prick.. But.. You have a manual which comes with your motherboard. I know this because I'm holding mine. Code 99 = console output/input devices/ console initialization and load option ROM (VGA, RAID, parallel ports, serial sorts) I get code 99 before my pc starts to boot. Its the code displayed when checking all is ok. If you have a problem on code 99 getting stuck then you have an I/O error. Good luck !

XplisitGamer420

Reputable
Feb 21, 2016
I have this error as well (msi motherboard, don't know model number but says military class II and oc genie II on it) It usually says 99 a2 b4 99 then shows msi logo and boots up but sometimes it lands on the first 99 or 92 and wont boot... no definite fix I can find but I pulled pulled out all usbs but mouse/keyboard, then turned it off, switched off power switch, hit power button to drain excess power left behind remove and reinsert video card, press on memory sticks to make sure they are all the way in and then hit power switch and button. sometimes this works immediately, sometimes it takes 15 trys but usually eventually comes back on... hope this helps anyone

LtZargon

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
I had this issue. MSI's forums indicate this error occurs depending on what is connected via USB. Some failing devices include front-panel ports, Wireless Keyboards, USB hard drives, and USB hubs.
For me, I disconnected (turned off actually) my USB printer and presto.

Jason_107

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016
Okay good same crap happen to me! black screen 99 on the bottom screen,and usb ports didnt work I was pissed.Now im no expert like that knows alot about PCS but i saw videos why this happen.

So heres a link what happen and how to fix it.

https://youtu.be/-9RnIj-EcdQ

And Heres the ghetto way to fix it(Cheaper).

https://youtu.be/vNX6-dkFey4

Heres where to buy them (Amazon)

www.amazon.com/StarTech-2-54mm-Standard-Computer-Jumper/dp/B00008VF46

Hope it Helps! And if you have near buy computer store that sells used PC parts,go to the optical drives and see in the back of the optical drive has to be the old optical drive though with 24-36 Pin how much they are you get the point.Remeber no expert but happen to me and i fixed it.And so do the old hard drive s have them to in the back.

WATCH THE VIDEOS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT.

Other Way they may be named, porbabley in your mobo but this my mobo where to locate them.(AMD)

www.manualsdir.com/manuals/467069/msi-fm2-a55m-e35-fm2-a75ma-e35.html?page=38

GOOD LUCK BRO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS