Question Pc wont boot, ez debug led flashes CPU and then DRAM

IridescentCheese

Reputable
Sep 6, 2016
Hello, so I did a case swapping and also replaced my PSU. I disassembled my PC as careful as I could and built it to its new case.

I turned it on and it didn't even boot, my MSI mobo atleast has a EZ Debug led function. The debug LED remained lit at DRAM meaning there must be a problem in the memory. I swapped the RAM from the second slot to the first one instead.

I turned it on and it still won't boot, the debug led lights are now flashing at CPU and then DRAM then back to CPU and then back to DRAM. I guess its saying there is a problem with the CPU and DRAM. This isn't the first time CPU and DRAM flash happened and I just usually try to rescrew the cooler then it will boot properly. But not this time.

I checked the debug lights, the DRAM led lights a bit longer than CPU led, I also tried to remove the RAM and boot to see if it gets to POST but it didnt boot and the debug lights flashes DRAM indefinitely. Thanks in advance

Mobo: MSI Z170A PC MATE
CPU: i5 6600k
GPU: Asus GTX 1070 strix
RAM: one 8gb hyperx DDR4
Cooler: AIO ID Cooling Icekimo 120mm
PSU: Seasonic gm650 650watts

IridescentCheese

Reputable
Sep 6, 2016
Hello, recently I case swapped my PC and replaced my PSU and added three extra fans. Finished building it to its new case but it won't boot, everything is working but no display and my motherboard's EZ debug LEDs indicate a problem or fail in the CPU and DRAM.

I tried clearing the CMOS but same thing. Then I found a thread that describes the same exact problem as mine:

He found out that the CPU cooler screws are causing a short in the motherboard and he covered all the "suspected" areas with electrical tape and it fixed his problem.

I tried covering all suspected areas with electrical tape as well, it did work and booted my PC. But after a minute or two of usage, my PC freezes and one second later it turned off completely. Black screen, all lights in PC turned off, and all fans also turned off. I tried turning it on again and it would boot as usual but wont even last three minutes, and it will freeze and turn off again.

I still suspect that the my CPU cooler is the culprit and that I didn't cover it enough with electrical tapes or maybe there is a better solution. Thanks in advance.

Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC Mate
CPU: i5 6600k
GPU: GTX 1070 Asus Strix
RAM: 8gb HyperX Fury
Liquid Cooler: ID Cooling Icekimo 120g
PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold GM650 605watts

IridescentCheese

Reputable
Sep 6, 2016
By replaced, what was your prior PSU and why did you have to replace it? Might I ask what the case(is and) was prior to the transplant?
Hello, my last PSU was called Aerocool Strike X 500 watts, my new case is called Coolman Robin 2(pretty cheap dual chamber case), and my last case was called Aerocool Aero 1000. Before the case swap and PSU replacement I faced an issue where my PC freezes randomly and ended up concluding that I need to replace my PSU because of this thread I also made:

During that time I took the liberty of buying a new case as well as three extra fans and two fan splitters(I reused the three case fans from my old case). To be honest I was suspecting the CPU cooler first but I learned that freezing can be caused by the PSU, but starts off random and less frequent, the more frequent it is the more likely your PSU is failing. But with a new PSU(and a quality one) and still the same problem but worse, its most likely not the PSU.

IridescentCheese

Reputable
Sep 6, 2016
By replaced, what was your prior PSU and why did you have to replace it? Might I ask what the case(is and) was prior to the transplant?
I tested it out again this morning, its no longer shutting down immediately but after a few minutes of use it freezes. My keyboard toggle lights are not responding, and I had to hold the power button.