PC won't boot. (NOT PSU, NOT MB, NOT RAM, NOT CPU)

Kuraitora

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015
Asus Z97-AR
Intel i7 Quad Core
8gb Crucial RAM

I'm at a complete and total loss here. My PC was working fine, running apps, games, etc perfectly fine. I bought a new case, moved all the parts to the new case (the same way I've moved parts for 7 years) and then it just stopped working.

I've tried with everything connected to MB.
I've tried with nothing but PSU and CPU connected to MB.
I've tried with 4pin instead of 8pin CPU cable.
I've tried with different physical cords (modular PSU).
I've tried 4 RAM configurations on the MB.

[:kuraitora]Power LED on MB
[:kuraitora]MemOK LED on MB
[:kuraitora]PSU Clicks

[:kuraitora:1]Fans Running (any fan, anywhere)
[:kuraitora:1]BIOS Beep
[:kuraitora:1]Fan LEDs

Tried 3 separate PSU's, no luck. Tried 2 CPU's, no luck. Tried buying a new MB, no luck.

Seriously my last hope is to assume this new case is just cursed and I need to perform an exorcism on it.

gilbadon

Distinguished
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

Follow each and every step on this. As someone who has built computers for 7 years, I understand that these may seem like routine steps and you are SURE you did not miss them, I suggest going through the steps, one by one, and literally checking them off the list when you have completed it. Make 100% sure of every step. It is often something you missed because you cannot imagine being that stupid.

Kuraitora

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015
Thanks for linking that post, I did find a bent CPU pin but I'm not 100% that was the actual cause (yes I will fix it :lol:) since I've tried using a brand new MB from the box... the last thing I can think of is the CPU itself. I'm thinking of picking up a new MB/CPU together rather than trying them individually. I've just never run into this problem before and it's driving me crazy haha

seeingeyegod

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Yes you should have beeping when powering up with no memory and just CPU/power. By "cardboard build" do you mean just trying to power it up outside the case? If so I highly recommend not putting it on cardboard, good chance of causing ESD damage. Better to put it on a wooden desk or glass, or something plastic/rubber.

seeingeyegod

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
No beuno. Assuming it has a built in speaker on the board? I think every board has that now. It looks like the only thing you haven't tried is a totally different set of DIMMs, but it makes no sense that your brand new motherboard isn't making no mem beeps with either of the CPU's or multiple PSU's.

gilbadon

Distinguished

They still make them without last time I noticed. I could be wrong, but even my expensive MSI MPower had an attachment buzzer.

Kuraitora

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015

Still haven't fixed this problem. When I very very first put it together the RAM didn't play well with anything else; sometime next week I'm going to pick up new RAM and see if that works.