Question PC won't boot, RAM issue?

Nov 22, 2022
Hi,

I bought a new PC a few weeks ago:

-Mobo: Asus Strix Z690-F
-CPU: i9 12900K
-RAM: Kingston Fury Renegade DDR5 6400 (2x16)
-GPU: The one that I had in another PC, 3080Ti

The thing is that I was getting so many random freezes lately and it was really annoying. PC or GPU without any load and I was getting those freezes, preceded by an electric short sound.

I thought that maybe it was RAM´s issue, as I turned ON XMP and also 6400 profile and I read that i9 12900K supports DDR5 4800 but I think it doesn't support 6400 (maybe I don't know, 5400 with luck).

I turned off XMP so it was 4800 again, but when I have 2 modules of RAM in slots 2&4 PC just doesn't boot, with mobo RAM led in "orange" (RAM issue???, it´s new...).

If I just put 1 RAM in slot "1", I'm able to enter BIOS and I was also lucky to boot Windows (but Windows says RAM it´s at 4000 frequency, not 4800... weird).

Anyway I need obviously to use both sticks in 2&4 slots and I don't know what´s going on. I also read that maybe as they have leds that it was needed to turn ON XMP with 1 stick in slot 1 so you increase the voltage and then put again the 2 sticks in slots 2&4.

I tested everything possible but no luck.

I also read that Asus motherboards Z690 have a lot of issues with Alder Lake series, so..... I don't know if it´s the damned mobo, the RAM...... or what. As everything´s new and this never happened me before.

I'm about to return RAM and test with new one (same model) or if the issue it´s still there, then maybe return this mobo and buy a "Gigabyte / MSI" because this is not normal...

Any suggestion?. I have latest Asus Bios: 2204.

Memory model: KF564C32RSAK2-32 KF564C32RSAK2-32-B.ai (kingston.com)

Also... what´s better, download all these drivers: ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI - Support (asus.com) or use Armoury Crate instead?.

I just formatted again so that´s why I need to install pending MOBO drivers, but I don't know if that could be the reason that I can't boot with 2 sticks. Anyway I did the same 2 days ago, installing all drivers with Armoury Crate and I was still getting those freezes even with 2 sticks.

Armoury.png

These are the devices pending to update drivers:

devices.png

Also I just tested and I'm able to boot into Windows using each of the sticks in Slot1, so it can't be that 1 of the sticks is damaged.

I just installed "Intel Serial IO Software" and "Intel chipset driver" but still can't boot with 2 sticks in slots 2&4.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Test your ram.
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

In the bios, use default settings. Do not use optimize settings which may invoke overclocking.
If two sticks fail, test one at a time.
If ram fails memtest, contact Kingston rma support with the particulars.

What is the make/model of your psu?
The electrical short noise is bothersome.
But, a failure often sends a signal to your speakers which might sound like a short.