PC won't boot stuck from logo screen after installing M2 SSD (SSD Samsung 970 EVO PCIe NVMe)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2018
Hello,

I just bought a M2 ssd and install on my motherboard but it doesn't work.
My motherboard is ECS Z97-MACHINE on latest BIOS.

When m2 is inserted to the board, PC stucks at logo screen (American Megatrends) and can't even enter bios setting. The LED on the mainboard shows code A0.

When I remove the ssd, PC can boot normally and I can enter bios.

Not sure if this is because I updated bios. At first when I installed the ssd I can enter the bios normally and boot to windows on my old HDD. Then I tried to install windows 10 on the new ssd but it does not appear in the bios and cannot boot from my ssd. Then I decided to update the bios to the latest version and now can't even enter the bios unless the ssd isn't inserted to the board.

Any ideas how can I resolve this. At least I can boot from my HDD and use SSD as a storage for gaming ?

Edit 1: Took out the M2 SSD Sata from my cousin laptop and plugged into my mainboard. It works. Window 10 bootable from the m2 slot. But not sure why the PCIe m2 ssd can't be detected in bios and cannot boot.

Dec 25, 2018

Thank you. Any ideas how to make it works as a storage device ?
Before bios update I can boot into windows 7 using my HDD. And the window recognized the Samsung as a storage device.
After updating to latest bios it stuck to the logo screen and I cannot boot from my HDD. code A0 is displayed. I deleted all the data on the ssd and remove all partitions but same result. Stuck at logo.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
it may need a driver. is there anything in the device manager that needs a driver.

the A0 is the motherboard saying that control has been handed over to the HDD. POST passed and system is awaiting the OS from the HDD or SSD. if it is stopping here there is an issue with the HDD.

page 90 in the manual

does the system boot from any other devices, USB, CD-DVD?

if you updated the BIOS you may need to change the IDE/AHCI/RAID options in the BIOS for the HDD to be seen

Dec 25, 2018

Yes, it can boot from usb, or HDD if the SSD is removed from the motherboard.
Otherwise, it stuck at the logo screen and can't boot from anything. Can't event enter bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS