Question (PC won't boot to OS)

Dragonxul

Prominent
Mar 9, 2019
I had recently received a laptop harddrive which I was using to transfer some data onto. I was swapping it together when the PC accidentally switched on as I was swapping. It shut down, and it no longer works. (My keyboard works when the PCIe GPU connecter is NOT plugged up)N

Notes Did not have motherboard speaker, so cannot hear POST
Already reset CMOS 3 times so far

Specs:
AMD FX-4350
Sapphire Nitro RX-460 4GB
Gigabyte GA-970A-DSP3
Kingston Hyper X Fury 2 x 4GB
Shark Technologies 750 watt certified PSU
Western Digital 1TB HDD
Samsung 500GB HDD
Rosewill Challenger Case
AMD Wraith Max Silent CPU Cooler
Inuive 120mm PC fan
Rosewill 120mm PC fan

verdy_p

Reputable
May 28, 2014
Did you forget to plug the power cable ? There are TWO connectors on SATA drives.

But as you have a notebook, normally they are fixed and you need to push the drive correctly to the final position. It's highly probable that you've just put the drive in the bay and fixed it with a screen before making sure it was really pushed laterally to plug in connectors (this must be done before placing the fixation screw and closing the bay.

Reopen your PC... and make sure you've not accidentally unplugged another cable or a small printed flexible plastic connector inside !

May be you've already damaged the connectors while trying to incorrectly remove the first drive instead of sliding it laterally: the drive should have been extracted without any force (there's normally only a single small screw to keep it inserted in the connectors).

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
Did you forget to plug the power cable ? There are TWO connectors on SATA drives.

But as you have a notebook, normally they are fixed and you need to push the drive correctly to the final position. It's highly probable that you've just put the drive in the bay and fixed it with a screen before making sure it was really pushed laterally to plug in connectors (this must be done before placing the fixation screw and closing the bay.

Reopen your PC... and make sure you've not accidentally unplugged another cable or a small printed flexible plastic connector inside !

May be you've already damaged the connectors while trying to incorrectly remove the first drive instead of sliding it laterally: the drive should have been extracted without any force (there's normally only a single small screw to keep it inserted in the connectors).
Its not a notebook its a full size desktop. Ref:
Specs:
AMD FX-4350
Sapphire Nitro RX-460 4GB
Gigabyte GA-970A-DSP3
Kingston Hyper X Fury 2 x 4GB
Shark Technologies 750 watt certified PSU
Western Digital 1TB HDD
Samsung 500GB HDD
Rosewill Challenger Case
AMD Wraith Max Silent CPU Cooler
Inuive 120mm PC fan
Rosewill 120mm PC fan

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
I would check all your power connections, to include motherboard power cord, cpu power cord, the power cord running into the rear of your case. Perhaps you unplugged one of them by accident. I have changed out hard drives while my computer was on and never had a shut down, maybe i'm just dumb lucky, but maybe you unplugged something by accident.

Dragonxul

Prominent
Mar 9, 2019
I would check all your power connections, to include motherboard power cord, cpu power cord, the power cord running into the rear of your case. Perhaps you unplugged one of them by accident. I have changed out hard drives while my computer was on and never had a shut down, maybe i'm just dumb lucky, but maybe you unplugged something by accident.
Nothing worked sadly

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
DO you have anything plugged into your usb ports? I would try removing all exterior usb attachments and see if you get power. Also I would pull your gpu and see if you get power. Just trying all troubleshooting before you throw it away:( And try pulling all the new ram and just try one stick of your old ram that worked in every slot and try to get power, then go to the new memory. Just trying to rule out any dead part other than your motherboard. Do you have a spare psu that you can try? Also last thing I would do is pull cpu and reseat it.

Dragonxul

Prominent
Mar 9, 2019
DO you have anything plugged into your usb ports? I would try removing all exterior usb attachments and see if you get power. Also I would pull your gpu and see if you get power. Just trying all troubleshooting before you throw it away:( And try pulling all the new ram and just try one stick of your old ram that worked in every slot and try to get power, then go to the new memory. Just trying to rule out any dead part other than your motherboard. Do you have a spare psu that you can try? Also last thing I would do is pull cpu and reseat it.
I've tried most of those things I can try until I can get a test PC to use the parts off of for diagnosting.
Nothing worked.