Question PC wont boot up if I dont wiggle my GPU before turning it on

Jun 4, 2024
Hello, for the past couple weeks or so, my PC wont show the boot screen if I dont wiggle the GPU a little bit. If I manage to boot the PC up, sometimes the driver just uninstalls itself or Nvidia Experience shows the 0x00003 error.

I thought not booting up was a RAM problem at first, but both my RAM works just fine in other PC (2 different brand, same speed). In this PC I cant set the speed to 3200MHz too or it wont boot up properly too.

Mobo: MSI b450m pro-vdh max (brand new, bought 2 months ago)
GPU: GTX 1650 super

Hello, for the past couple weeks or so, my PC wont show the boot screen if I dont wiggle the GPU a little bit. If I manage to boot the PC up, sometimes the driver just uninstalls itself or Nvidia Experience shows the 0x00003 error.

I thought not booting up was a RAM problem at first, but both my RAM works just fine in other PC (2 different brand, same speed). In this PC I cant set the speed to 3200MHz too or it wont boot up properly too.

Either it's a bad pci slot or you need to reseat your GPU it's not shocking if it's a bad pci slot as MSI make terrible motherboards.

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished

You technically have 2 different things to look at here.

The GPU and the memory.

For the GPU then I would recommend removing it and giving the contacts a good clean and I would also check the socket to make sure no debris has managed to enter the slot. Try and ensure that the card when reinserted is fully seated and held securely in place. There shouldn't be much play to able to wiggle it at all if possible.

Regarding the RAM then if you have a mismatched pair then regardless if the speeds are the same it is likely the timings are different. This is why you cannot enable XMP/DOCP. You might be able to manually enter some timings that both sets are happy with but Ryzen can be a bit iffy about memory so it may or may not work. Matched pairs are always encouraged for this reason.

Jun 4, 2024
You technically have 2 different things to look at here.

The GPU and the memory.

For the GPU then I would recommend removing it and giving the contacts a good clean and I would also check the socket to make sure no debris has managed to enter the slot. Try and ensure that the card when reinserted is fully seated and held securely in place. There shouldn't be much play to able to wiggle it at all if possible.

Regarding the RAM then if you have a mismatched pair then regardless if the speeds are the same it is likely the timings are different. This is why you cannot enable XMP/DOCP. You might be able to manually enter some timings that both sets are happy with but Ryzen can be a bit iffy about memory so it may or may not work. Matched pairs are always encouraged for this reason.
Ok, I just tried removing 1 of the RAM and it boots up easier now, couple hours ago I can boot up with BOTH RAM installed but now I suddenly cant.

Actually there are 3 scenarios that I experienced.
1. 2 Days ago when I bought the new RAM (somehow cant find a matching pair in my country so I just buy a RAM with similar speed), I installed it and set the speed to 3200Mhz, it works.
image.png

2. Yesterday I had issue booting up, somehow the only way to boot up is to reduce the speed to "Auto" in BIOS which puts me in 2400MHz speed for the ram. Both sticks are still installed atm.

3. Now, I cant boot up with BOTH RAM installed, I plucked out 1, it boots up instantly.

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Ok, I just tried removing 1 of the RAM and it boots up easier now, couple hours ago I can boot up with BOTH RAM installed but now I suddenly cant.

Actually there are 3 scenarios that I experienced.
1. 2 Days ago when I bought the new RAM (somehow cant find a matching pair in my country so I just buy a RAM with similar speed), I installed it and set the speed to 3200Mhz, it works.
image.png

2. Yesterday I had issue booting up, somehow the only way to boot up is to reduce the speed to "Auto" in BIOS which puts me in 2400MHz speed for the ram. Both sticks are still installed atm.

3. Now, I cant boot up with BOTH RAM installed, I plucked out 1, it boots up instantly.
When playing around with moving RAM modules you may need to clear your CMOS at times to prevent the motherboard having boot issues.

Are you using 4 RAM modules or have you just got 2 sticks - 1 of each brand? Are they both the same capacity etc. Can you list what modules you do have?

Jun 4, 2024
When playing around with moving RAM modules you may need to clear your CMOS at times to prevent the motherboard having boot issues.

Are you using 4 RAM modules or have you just got 2 sticks - 1 of each brand? Are they both the same capacity etc. Can you list what modules you do have?
There is only 2 RAM slots in my motherboard
RAM 1: tlzgd48g3200hc16cbk T-Force Vulcan Z 8GB DDR4-3200 (One apparently broke, so theres 1 left)
RAM 2: KF432c16bb/8 Kingston Fury Beast DDR4 3200MHz (PC25600) (bought 2 days ago)

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
There is only 2 RAM slots in my motherboard
RAM 1: tlzgd48g3200hc16cbk T-Force Vulcan Z 8GB DDR4-3200 (One apparently broke, so theres 1 left)
RAM 2: KF432c16bb/8 Kingston Fury Beast DDR4 3200MHz (PC25600) (bought 2 days ago)
Ah ok. If you only bought the RAM module 2 days a go is it possible to return it and obtain a new matched pair? I feel that you will continue to have problems with trying to get these to work past the base 2400 spec.

As previously mentioned you might be able to try and manually input some timings to get them running together at 3200 but I feel it could be a fools errand.

Jun 4, 2024
Ah ok. If you only bought the RAM module 2 days a go is it possible to return it and obtain a new matched pair? I feel that you will continue to have problems with trying to get these to work past the base 2400 spec.

As previously mentioned you might be able to try and manually input some timings to get them running together at 3200 but I feel it could be a fools errand.
Update again, after failing to boot with both RAM on like 30min ago, I tried it again.
Now it works with both running at 3200
IMG_20240604_212552.jpg

I really dont understand what's causing the boot failures and NVIDIA Driver uninstalling itself.
I already DDU-ed it multiple times and used the NVIDIA Cleanup tool too as what my friend suggested but it just keeps happening.
I did what you and beyondlogic suggested 30min ago, cleaned the GPU contact and the socket which led me to that 1 RAM only working scenario. Do I need to update the BIOS or something?

Jun 4, 2024
Can you list your full PC specs including CPU and PSU (model number and age)

You mentioned you have tried your ram in another computer. Can you try the gpu in another computer as well?
GPU: GTX 1650 super (4yo)
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (4yo)
PSU:Antec Vp 500Plus 80+ (4yo)
SSD: Samsung 256GB 850 Pro (8/9yo)

I don't have access to another pc atm

The other stuffs were tested in the computer repair shop when i bought the msi board 2 months ago and they were fine back then (gpu cpu ram and psu).

The other stuffs were tested in the computer repair shop when i bought the msi board 2 months ago and they were fine back then (gpu cpu ram and psu).

mixing ram kits can cause instability are you sure the other stick is broken?.

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished

I would suggest that you remove 1 memory stick whilst trying to trouble shoot. That way it keeps the mismatched RAM out of the equation.

I would then remove all traces of nvidia drivers and also geforce experience. I take it when you are using DDU you are doing it in safe mode?

Jun 4, 2024
I would suggest that you remove 1 memory stick whilst trying to trouble shoot. That way it keeps the mismatched RAM out of the equation.

I would then remove all traces of nvidia drivers and also geforce experience. I take it when you are using DDU you are doing it in safe mode?
It's somehow working without a hitch for the past days, I'm guessing its the GPU's connection thats abit screwed up and somehow fixed itself when I turn my PC case sideways (still sideways now).
And yes, Safe mode DDU then reinstall latest driver from the website. The Gefore Experience is fine too for the past days.
I'm seeing some corrosion on the GPU which is not too great to see. The weather is quite humid in South east asia and this room has no air conditioning. Is there anything I can put inside my PC case that can reduce the chance of corrosion? Will those desiccant silica gel even work if I put some inside of the case ?

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2024
There are two distinct components that require your attention in this case: the GPU and the memory.To address the GPU, I suggest removing it and thoroughly cleaning the contacts. Additionally, it is important to inspect the socket to ensure that no debris has entered the slot. When reinserting the card, make sure it is fully seated and securely held in place. Ideally, there should be minimal movement or wiggle room.Regarding the RAM, if you have a pair that does not match, even if the speeds are the same, it is likely that the timings differ. This is why enabling XMP/DOCP is not possible. However, you may attempt to manually enter timings that are compatible with both sets. It is worth noting that Ryzen processors can be finicky when it comes to memory, so there is no guarantee that this approach will work. For optimal performance, it is always recommended to use matched pairs of RAM modules.