PC won't boot up when I have my GPU plugged in.

adfultz

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
Just to give some background info of what has been happening before I had this issue... I built this computer back in January earlier this year and everything was working fine and dandy, but then a few days ago my pc started to randomly freeze with a different colored screen each time.

And now today when I woke up, my PC would turn on but nothing would display on my monitors. I then tried booting it up with my On-Board graphics and still would not turn on. I then tried the same thing but this time I removed the power connectors connecting to my GPU and surprisingly my PC booted up normally.

As of right now, I am on my On-Board graphics and my PC is working fine, not freezing or anything.

I have tried many things to try and fix it but to no avail, I have tried resetting the CMOS, testing each stick of RAM individually (they all worked by themselves), re-seating the GPU and RAM, trying a different PCI slot, booting the PC with only the video cables connected to the PC, and going into the BIOS and trying to see if it was trying to boot off of the On-Board graphics (because my GPU wasn't being powered, my BIOS was saying nothing was connected to my PCI slot)... nothing worked so far.

Note: I always have been using two monitors before any issues but I am only using one right now because I am connected with the On-Board graphics with an HDMI cable, but before I had this problem I was using 1 VGA and 1 mini Display Port.

and here is my build:

GPU - 7970 6GB vapor-x edition
CPU - i7 6700k running at 4.4 GHz
RAM - Corsair Vengance DDR4 32GB 2133 (4 sticks, 8gb each)
PSU - EVGA 850W 80+ gold
MOBO - MSI Z170A Gaming M7

I can give more specs if required.