PC won't boot up while using some combination of USB Ports

marciorp

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016
While trying to check if my USB connections were firmly plugged into my PC I acidentaly hitted one of my USB devices on the MoBo connection side. I recall hearing a strange noise coming from the PC.
After that the computer wouldn't boot up. The GPU and Ethernet Interface LEDs lighted up, both the fans from the case and Processor worked fine, I could also hear the HDD working while I tried to turn it on, but none of the USB devices were receiving power (as I have gaming Mouse/Keyboard with LEDs they simply wouldn't light up), also tried plugging a small USB External Fan, but no power coming through it as well and no video feedback.

With little research I discovered that the problem could be USB related, so I started experimenting different combination of used ports, but with the same devices. Some worked, some didn't, the most strange part is that even the Case front panel USB ports affect the final result. Couldn't find out any pattern after about 30 minutes of experimenting with it.

My conclusion: Couldn't find out if it's a problem with my MoBo USB Interface or maybe one of the USB Devices on short circuit.

Any thoughts ?

Solution
disconnect the USB plugs from Motherboard, all USB2 and USB3 connected on the motherboard, then boot up *yes I realize you have no keyboard, one thing at a time. if that works power down, plug one connector on the board and plug keyboard mouse in those jacks, boots again... repeat rinse for all connectors, if it is the "jacks" then you known which connector to leave off the mother board and replace.
disconnect the USB plugs from Motherboard, all USB2 and USB3 connected on the motherboard, then boot up *yes I realize you have no keyboard, one thing at a time. if that works power down, plug one connector on the board and plug keyboard mouse in those jacks, boots again... repeat rinse for all connectors, if it is the "jacks" then you known which connector to leave off the mother board and replace.

Solution