My Specs:

Intel Core i3-4170 3.7ghz
OEM H81 Motherboard
4gb DDR3 1333mhz
x3 500gb HDD
Asrock RX 560 2GB
250w OEM PSU
Windows 10 Home

I purchased an old OEM pc so I can use it with my old RX 560 2GB and the GPU does not require external power from the PSU as it's TDP is 65W. The PC with the GPU switched on and went into windows 3 times, but it crashed each time, with the system just freezing or the display getting progressively noisier until the whole screen is just noise (running an old monitor through a DVI port). Now with the GPU installed, the PC doesn't even get to the splash screen or the bios, it just turns on and the fans run really fast and there's no display. However, when the GPU is removed, it boots into windows normally.

I have no means of testing my GPU if it's, so my question is, given that the PC initially turned on and went into windows with the GPU installed, could my GPU be dead, could the power supply be inadequate, or could there be a problem with the PCI-E slot on the board? Thanks.

P.S: is it safe to upgrade the CPU of the system to a second hand i7 4790?

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
My Specs:

Intel Core i3-4170 3.7ghz
OEM H81 Motherboard
4gb DDR3 1333mhz
x3 500gb HDD
Asrock RX 560 2GB
250w OEM PSU
Windows 10 Home

I purchased an old OEM pc so I can use it with my old RX 560 2GB and the GPU does not require external power from the PSU as it's TDP is 65W. The PC with the GPU switched on and went into windows 3 times, but it crashed each time, with the system just freezing or the display getting progressively noisier until the whole screen is just noise (running an old monitor through a DVI port). Now with the GPU installed, the PC doesn't even get to the splash screen or the bios, it just turns on and the fans run really fast and there's no display. However, when the GPU is removed, it boots into windows normally.

I have no means of testing my GPU if it's, so my question is, given that the PC initially turned on and went into windows with the GPU installed, could my GPU be dead, could the power supply be inadequate, or could there be a problem with the PCI-E slot on the board? Thanks.

P.S: is it safe to upgrade the CPU of the system to a second hand i7 4790?
Maybe your GPU is FOOBAR. DVI? I am retiring my 4790k when MS shuts off support for window 10 next year. Running the 7490k + Asus 1030oc which is overkill for the CPU. New home for my old salty dog I first built in 2014. Upgraded to the 1030 in 2017. The machine is 8 years old. I wouldn't waste another dime trying to upgrade such an old dinosaur. However, it's your money.

Last edited: