Pc won't boot-Weird

Hotshot6352

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
I just bought a Asus rog strix z370-h and psu (evga 600bq semi modular) to replace my old mobo and psu. I'm using the same cpu, cooler, graphics card, as I was earlier today (all of which worked earlier today) I took everything apart and put it back together making sure I wore my anti static wristband so no pieces got damaged. After a long grueling process I got done and it wouldn't boot. The lights on the mobo would come on when I turned on the psu but when I tried to boot the fans would turn on for a split second and the cpu led on the mobo would flash indicating a problem with the cpu (which worked earlier that day) I then took it out of the case and tried to boot it in case something was shorting it but I got the same result. I don't think it would be the bios either then becuase my cpu (i5 6500) came out mid 2015 and should easily be supported so now I'm stuck in limbo. Somebody please help! (Also I got new ram. 2 sticks of 8gb and took one stick out and made sure it was in the right slot sitting right. Nothing else points to the ram or the psu being the problem which leads me back to the motherboard)

Solution
Intel's 300-series chipset motherboards, including Z370, are only compatible with their latest generation of processors. You would need to use an 8th gen (8000-series) Core processor with that motherboard. Even their 7th gen Core processors released in early 2017 are not compatible.

On the positive side, they added two more cores and increased clocks at each product level this generation, so even an i3-8100 is a quad-core that will slightly outperform an i5-6500 at around US $120, and an i5-8400 is a 6-core processor that will outperform an i7-6700 at around $180.
Intel's 300-series chipset motherboards, including Z370, are only compatible with their latest generation of processors. You would need to use an 8th gen (8000-series) Core processor with that motherboard. Even their 7th gen Core processors released in early 2017 are not compatible.

On the positive side, they added two more cores and increased clocks at each product level this generation, so even an i3-8100 is a quad-core that will slightly outperform an i5-6500 at around US $120, and an i5-8400 is a 6-core processor that will outperform an i7-6700 at around $180.

Solution