[SOLVED] PC won't boot, which component is faulty?

mutlubaris

Reputable
Oct 1, 2016
Specs:
Asus X-99A motherboard
Intel 5820-k cpu
Nvidia GTX1080 graphics
some 750W psu
4x4GB DDR4 ram

I've been using my desktop PC for 5 years now. I've been doing some overclocking on the cpu and I've had issues with the boot plenty of times. Usually I had to reset the bios but eventually I got the system to boot again. I've had a faulty RAM module a few years ago and had to replace the entire kit. A few days ago, I got a graphics error noise from the motherboard, I removed and inserted the GPU and the problem got solved. Today my PC decided not to boot at all. Sometimes the power goes on for just a second and then it turns back off. Sometimes it just keeps running but there is no boot sound and the GPU lights remain on for the entire time (normally when theres a succesful boot, the GPU lights go on and then back off, and the boot sound plays a while after that).

I've tried resetting the bios with the button on the back of the motherboard, and by using the jumper on pins 2-3 for 10 seconds, and by removing the battery for 5 minutes. Didn't seem to make a difference. I also tried booting without the GPU and drives, with only one RAM module installed. Still no luck. As far as I know this means the problem is either the motherboard, the cpu or the psu. It would be better if I can narrow it down further before going out to get new components. If the PC runs without booting for a long while, does this mean the problem cannot be the PSU? Would everything be fine if I only switched my mobo and cpu?

Solution
A life span of about 5 yrs are about within expected range for an OC CPU. It makes more stress on onboard voltage regulators and especially the electrolyte capacitors related to it.

Lutfij

Titan
some 750W psu
I'd start with sourcing a reliably built PSU first off and then see if the system powers up. For the sake of this thread, can you mention what the make and model of the PSU used is and it's age? Ram used on your platform?

mutlubaris

Reputable
Oct 1, 2016
some 750W psu
I'd start with sourcing a reliably built PSU first off and then see if the system powers up. For the sake of this thread, can you mention what the make and model of the PSU used is and it's age? Ram used on your platform?

the PSU is thermaltake smart 750w 80+ bronze. the RAM is HyperX HX428C14PB2K4/16

I don't understand what you mean by "sourcing a reliably built PSU and see if the system powers up". What am I supposed to try exactly?

mutlubaris

Reputable
Oct 1, 2016
some 750W psu

I tried using another PSU but the PC still wont boot. I guess thats what you wanted me to try. This only leaves the cpu and mobo I guess. Im considering upgrading both.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
My OCed 4790k lived for 2 years. Newer CPU especially AMD don't need to be OC'ed. The gains are minimal and your wallet will suffer. I OC'ed in the 90's. Fish tank submersible pump. Thick tubing with the CPU and GPU liquid cooled. I used water wetter because using poly treated H2O limits the lower end of cooling and water alone is too corrosive unless it is purified.
Your CPU most likely needs a decent funeral. Hey if you have deep pockets go for the gusto.