PC wont go past bios after new Graphics card.

Drayruk

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
I wanted to upgrade my rig with a new graphics card. going from gt 630 to a gtx 970. The whole unit power on but will only boot the HP splash screen. beep. and after a min another beep. turns to black screen. the end. I need some advice here.

Ram: 8 GB DDR3
Current GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 630
Upgrade GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
Motherboard: Pegatron Corporation 2ACF
Processor: AMD A6-3620
Power Supply: 750 W

Solution

Thanks all for the advice. I went back and took a look at my...

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

you need to go into the bios and make sure primary boot device is set to PEG

resetting cmos might help, consult your mobo guide

did you uninstall all gpu drivers before dropping in the new card?

hook up the monitor to the gpu?

plug in all pcie cables to the gpu?

make and model of the power supply?

>.> 970 on an a6... wow...

Drayruk

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
I don't know what setting my boot device to PEG means. No I did not uninstall all gpu drivers before dropping in the new card, I didn't hook it up to a monitor. All power cables were plugged in properly. and power supply was made by insignia. And yes I'm running an A6. been meaning to upgrade it.

royalcrown

Distinguished
PEG is PCI Express Graphics. That is any discrete GPU that you install in a PCI Express slot. IGP is Integrated Graphics something.

It could be a driver, however since you said it happens after the splash screen It's probably your bios settings, or some incompatibility.

Like maxalge said, try resetting your CMOS (bios), if it continues then use integrated graphics and or put your card in so you can boot.

Then go get check to see if there is a bios update from HP for your motherboard, update it according to their instructions, uninstall your old drivers, then try reinstalling your new graphics card.

If those easy things don't fix it, we'll have to keep looking :)

Lyniaer

Nov 2, 2010
Ugh. This takes me back to the days of XP pre-SP2. I only had a SP1 CD and reinstalled my OS long after having installed an AGP card (reinstalling due to HDD failure). SP1 didn't support AGP and I was kinda screwed. Had to pull the card out and learned how to perform a "slipstream" of SP2 into my SP1 files (after ripping the XPSP1 DVD) then create an image and burn it to a CD and install Windows, then put my AGP card back in. Thankfully that MB had integrated graphics. Well, most did back then. Would be all kinds of hosed to have that problem now-a-days when a lot of After Market boards don't have IGP.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

it means going into the bios itself, then finding "primary boot device" and setting it to PEG

wait, lets be clear

is your monitor/tv screen whatever hooked up to the new gpu or your motherboard?

Also post back with make and model of your power supply

MadMorigan

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014

Drayruk

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015

Thanks all for the advice. I went back and took a look at my bios, turns out I was really out of date. Once I updated it my unit boots to windows perfectly with the new graphics card.

Solution