[SOLVED] PC won't POST after replacing mobo, ram, processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsnyder87

Prominent
Jul 18, 2019
Hey all,

Kind of bummed out here. A few days ago I updated my bios and was unable to get my pc to POST after. Tried clearing CMOS, tried testing by pulling out ram sticks, etc. Took advantage of the prime day sale and got a new motherboard, and with a new motherboard I needed a new processor and ram (old socket and ddr3). Checked everything out on pcpartspicker and there shouldn't be any conflicts

Parts list on the rig I'm trying to start up right now:

• Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming motherboard
  • Ryzen 7 2700X
  • GeForce GTX 1070 TI
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x 8gb DDR4
  • Corsair HX 750 Psupply

Everything's plugged in, pc turns on and LED is all showing, orange power light is on the motherboard, but bios will not load, no display on the screen. Monitors being used are a displayport hookup and (converted) vga-hdmi port. Both plugged into the motherboard, not the graphics card

Things I've tried and checked:
  • Reseated RAM, made sure they were in the appropriate slot for the mobo (2nd and 4th slot, A2 and B2)
  • Checked 8 and 16 pin power supply connectors to mobo (and the others, but these are probably the biggies)
  • Checked processor for bent pins
  • Reseated processor and reapplied paste
  • tried running with only mobo, processor, single ram stick

Worth noting this is basically what happened to the prior motherboard/processor after I did the bios update. Common denominator would be the hard drives, power supply, and video card

Any more suggestions would be great. I just want to play total war again. Thanks

Link to pictures: View: http://imgur.com/gallery/fIV2oRM

Solution
So, try this. Power off. Disconnect the display cables. Disconnect ALL storage devices for now. HDD, SSD, NVME, external USB, whatever. Disconnect both data and power cables to those devices.

Remove the graphics card. Do not connect ANY display cables at this time.
Power on. Wait five minutes. Power off.

Do a hard reset of the BIOS as follows:

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure...
There are NO integrated graphics on that CPU. You cannot use the motherboard video outputs without a Ryzen APU. None of the CPUs have integrated graphics, so nothing is going to ever come out of that motherboard video output. Plug them into the graphics card.

2700x = No video. Use graphics card.

So, try this. Power off. Disconnect the display cables. Disconnect ALL storage devices for now. HDD, SSD, NVME, external USB, whatever. Disconnect both data and power cables to those devices.

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable. ONLY connect ONE display cable to the graphics card at this time, and make sure it's the DP enabled monitor. Do not connect the VGA-HDMI at this time.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup.

If you still don't have a display, try powering off, connect your OTHER display, and then power back on.

Solution

Jsnyder87

Prominent
Jul 18, 2019

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable. ONLY connect ONE display cable to the graphics card at this time, and make sure it's the DP enabled monitor. Do not connect the VGA-HDMI at this time.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup.

If you still don't have a display, try powering off, connect your OTHER display, and then power back on.

You are a lifesaver. Thank you so much. I am in business over here

Status
Not open for further replies.