Question PC won't POST half the time, but works 100% when it does - need advice

nrgeticseed

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Hello and thank you for checking my post!

I have the following PC:

Asus Z97-AR
Intel i7-4790K
Crucial 2x8GB DDR3-1866
Corsair
RM-750 PSU
Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti

I had a few similar problems like this in the past (computer is 7 years old) but not as bad as today's.

I removed my Nvidia 2080 Ti from the computer and when I put it back first 2 boot attempts it didn't post; the motherboard and graphics card LED, RGB, CPU fan are all on but no post or sign of life on monitor.

On the 3rd attempt (just pushing the power button on and off) it started working and booted into Windows. I played a few games of Call of Duty Cold War and didn't have a single crash or any problems what so ever (computer been on for over 2 hours).

However, if I shut down or even just do a REBOOT, it stops working again! If I power on/off a few times it eventually boots and works as if there isn't any issue. Also when pressing the power button (when NOT working) it turns PC off INSTANTLY so it's def not posting because when WORKING I have hold the power button down for 4-5sec to power off manually.

I can't figure out for the life of me what could be causing this!? Any ideas, tips or advice is appriciated!

Lutfij

Titan
Can you check and see which BIOS version you're on at the moment on your motherboard? You might want to also state the version of Windows 10(assuming you're on Windows 10) for your platform. Is the PSU 7 years old? What GPU were you using prior to the GTX 2080Ti?

idgamerd

Prominent
Nov 10, 2019
Can you check and see which BIOS version you're on at the moment on your motherboard? You might want to also state the version of Windows 10(assuming you're on Windows 10) for your platform. Is the PSU 7 years old? What GPU were you using prior to the GTX 2080Ti?
Hello, thank you for your reply and my apologies on my delayed reply. Since I posted this I have been using the computer non-stop for work and gaming. No issues what so ever while its on but rebooting or shutting down is still a problem. I had to restart to update my drivers a couple of weeks ago and again computer would not start (everything lights up and spins but no signal on monitor). After powering it off and on about 3-4 times it finally booted and worked no issue.

My worry is that one these days it will not boot lol I just can't figure out what is causing this because while its on, it works no problem. I am on the latest version of Windows 10 Pro, I am pretty sure I have the latest version of BIOS (I already thought about updating it) but Im not sure what version (I can double check if you think it would be helpful), and finally yes the PSU is 7 years old.

Any ideas what could be causing this?