Question PC wont post, replaced most parts

igorstoklosa

Reputable
Jun 2, 2018
So a week ago I had an issue with my computer turning off and then struggling to turn on, and if it did it would then freeze and turn off. I've had the system for around 3 years and it all worked fine. After it froze and such it would not boot. The power would constantly turn on and off, the display would get to the MB provider screen and then instantly switch off. I tried taking out all the components and just keeping in a stick of ram, cpu and power supply. It then would just turn the lights on and then off and would loop instantly. I bought another PSU because I thought there could be some sort of power issue but the same issue continued, now there wasnt any display. I thought there could be a motherboard issue as recently my drivers started messing up not being detected. My motherboard came today and the issue still persists. the fans and lights turn on, sometimes stay on for a while with no display, sometimes turn off after around 10 seconds of running with lights and fans. I am concerned it could somehow be the CPU, since I've replaced most other parts, the CPU does still get hot when trying to boot (not sure if that has any correlation to it being functioning). I reset CMOS as well on both motherboards. I made sure all the cables are plugged in correctly and have tried multiple ram slots. Wanted to check on here if there is anything I might be missing. I guess I could order a new CPU and return it in case there still is an issue (but at that point I'd have no clue what it could be).

Last edited:

igorstoklosa

Reputable
Jun 2, 2018
Oh right sorry, here they are:

CPU: Intel Core i5 9600K Coffee Lake Refresh
RAM: Patriot Viper Steel RGB Series DDR4 16GB
SSD:Kingston A400 240GB M.2-2280 SATA III SSD
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB SATA III 3.5" HDD
PSU: Aerocool Integrator 850w switched to Corsair RM750e 750W Modular 80+ Gold PSU
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ventus 2X 12GB OC GPU
MB: gigabyte b365 HD3 swapped to asrock z370 extreme4
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer i13 X

igorstoklosa

Reputable
Jun 2, 2018
I also have some boots like Im having now where it turns on and the lights and fans do stay for as long as I keep it on, but no display, this was after switching the ram into another slot.

igorstoklosa

Reputable
Jun 2, 2018
Okay so I decided to try booting again and its somehow working! This was after it stayed on for a bit longer when re seating the ram again. There was no display so I decided to plug in my gpu and see if that will get me display and it worked! Still unsure of whether this is just temporary but will keep it updated lol

LunarDapp

Reputable
Sep 10, 2018
Thank you so much for your help, I believe it was the key in helping me, thank you for the lifelong advice!

Also remember that if the CPU fan connector is on the motherboard and not disconnected the computer will pass CPU heatsink check and boot. However if the CPU hits overheat threshold it's fail-safe disengaged or the computer powers off.

Always use a POST speaker to verify post. These boards with the debug lights are a very misleading technology. One time my computer wouldn't post because the hdmi cord was compromised at the connector end, motherboard debug was blaming DRAM..

POST speaker is the tried and true way to rule out POST issues. Additionally if you get a display then you have a working system, however POST beeps will give further insight into issues that are going to manifest after POST. And in the event of a faulty HDD, that's beyond system startup checks, so, that's ruled out by putting it in a working computer and running something like CrystalDiskInfo over it to confirm it's going bad.