Question PC won't POST to BIOS - Stuck on CPU qLED (red) ?

Jan 8, 2023
Hello,

EDIT -

I have solved the issue. It WAS the AIO. I just took it out and powered the PC. It POSTed to BIOS. Time to replace.

I am having a crisis with my self built computer. It will not POST to BIOS. No display, nothing. Let me explain to give the whole story.

My issues began when I recently purchased and installed my GPU, prior to this my computer has been running smooth and well. When I first installed the GPU (which is a relatively easy process), my AIO at the time (corsair 100i RGB Platinum SE, Hydro series, 240) blew, causing CPU to overheat and auto shut down (because I wasn't aware the AIO blew at first) but after I got into it I could smell the AIO blew. Not entirely sure why, maybe incorrect instalment installation but has been working fine before. Anyway, I replaced it with a newly purchased AIO (see specs).

When I turned it on, the PC was running fine, booted to desktop, managed to play a game etc. I put it on sleep for the night and upon returning to it, it didn't boot up, no display, I noticed on the mobo that the qLED indicators at first went from orange (RAM) to red (cpu) and would alternate. I turned it off and on again, same thing. Turned it on/off again, it booted! to desktop etc. I thought maybe it was just having a moment.

After coming back to it (from sleep mode) it didn't POST again but this time it stayed at red qLED (cpu) repeating the same turning pc on/off process it once again booted to desktop. However now it's just not POSTing to BIOS or anything at all. So after random booting up to Desktop it now seems to not POST at all. I am leaving it for now as I don't want to make things worse.
All PC parts are quite new.

Things I have done:
  • Changed RAM slots. (and checked if pushed all the way in etc)
  • Tried booting with only 1 RAM stick in.
  • Checked all cables are well connected.
  • Removed CPU and checked for dirt and damage. Everything seems fine, no bent pins or dirt.
  • Reinstalled the AIO and reapplied the thermal paste. Following both the manual and many guides and video tutorials online. Connectors in the AIO_PUMP header.
  • Reset CMOS and even removed the battery.
  • Changed CPU cable.
  • Checked GPU is installed correctly
Apologies if I haven't mentioned something.

The only problems I believe it could be are that I've somehow incorrectly installed the AIO, the CPU is dead or the motherboard is faulty. But the PC has been running well before so I'm not sure on faulty mobo. Maybe when the first AIO blew and overheated the CPU, that it killed it completely?

Ideas I'm going to try -
  • Get a fan cooler for the CPU and see how that goes.
  • Try running it without the GPU and seeing if somehow GPU is interfering with other mechanics.
  • Maybe buy a cheap CPU to test if my current one is dead. (assuming it's cpu related)
But I am open to ideas. Thanks
If anyone needs further information or photos etc I will provide the best I can.

Note. I have gone through the steps on the stickied https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...deo-output-troubleshooting-checklist.1575220/ each one.

Thank you.

-- PC Specs --
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard - ASUS PRime X570-PRO
RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0
PSU - RMx White Series RM750x Watt 80 PLUS Gold certified
GPU - Geforce RTX 3070ti
AIO - Deep Cool Castle 240x

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When I first installed the GPU (which is a relatively easy process), my AIO at the time (corsair 100i RGB Platinum SE, Hydro series, 240) blew, causing CPU to overheat and auto shut down (because I wasn't aware the AIO blew at first) but after I got into it I could smell the AIO blew.
Can you elaborate on the term blew ?

PSU - RMx White Series RM750x Watt 80 PLUS Gold certified
How old is the PSU in this build?

Motherboard - ASUS PRime X570-PRO
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...E_X570-PRO_UM_v3_web.pdf?model=PRIME X570-PRO
Page 3-22, chapter 3, section 3.11.3, ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3, see if that helps revive your platform when using the latest BIOS to flash the motherboard.

Jan 8, 2023
@Lutfij
Thank you for a reply

By blew i mean something inside the pump head. There was an eletrical burning smell coming from it. No smoke though.

All parts for this PC including the PSU were purchased around 2 years ago. However, the PC was only using a few times due to lack of decent graphics card and has been in safe storage since.

Thank you for the link i shall look into it.

@Lutfij
Thank you for a reply

By blew i mean something inside the pump head. There was an eletrical burning smell coming from it. No smoke though.

All parts for this PC including the PSU were purchased around 2 years ago. However, the PC was only using a few times due to lack of decent graphics card and has been in safe storage since.

Thank you for the link i shall look into it.
FYI that CPU does not have an iGPU meaning you must have a GPU installed in order to have a display. You must connect the monitor to GPU