[SOLVED] PC won't POST with old Corsair DDR3 RAM kit installed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 4, 2021
Pc:
CPU - I7 3770 ivy bridge.
Mobo - Gigabyte z77x-ud5h rev 1 (bios updated to last bios, f16j)
PSU - Corsair cmx 750.
No other components are currently installed

I previously had 16gb of Corsair ddr3 1600mhz 9-9-9-24
This kit - cmz16gx3m4x1600c9 (been using the pc for about 6 year's)

After resetting my bios my pc no longer posts with this memory kit installed, (on any configuration, 1 sick, 4 sticks or 2 sticks in slot 1 and 3)
It simply displays code 15 on the "on board debugging LCD" then resets, no beeps.

However I can get into bios using a single 2gb stick of ddr3 Pc3-10666 (it's cm3x2048-1333c9dhx)

I updated bios to f16j but left everything on default settings.

Not sure how to proceed.

Should I manually set the memory settings to 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 then swap in the memory ?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
No, don't manually set the BIOS memory speed. Leave in the AUTO/default setting for the best hardware negotiated compliance settings.

After resetting the BIOS, power the system down and install the matched pair of memory into the optimal slots (Channel A: DDR3_2, DDR3_4 ). Then try powering on.

Your motherboard manual can be found here:

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...ud5h_e.pdf?v=535280cc19a6fecc3cc049d3db362520

Dec 4, 2021
The
Corsair ddr3 1600mhz 9-9-9-24
Memory kit - cmz16gx3m4x1600c9 No longer functions on "AUTO/default setting"

I have a paper manual

Won't work in any slot, even a single stick in any slot. ( Also tried pairs in channel a)

Just restarts the pc mid "post" with va clicking sound.

DSzymborski

Titan
Wait, are you POSTing or not? If you're getting into BIOS, you're POSTing. OS loading happens after POST, which stands for power-on self test. So do you mean it's restarting while Windows is loading? You should follow COLGeek's advice, but it's would be helpful to have clarity about what exactly is happening on your end.

Dec 4, 2021
Not over clocking

Using "Corsair ddr3 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 Memory kit - cmz16gx3m4x1600c9 -I am 100% unable to enter bios,
The computer resets the power during "power-on self test" before the motherboard speaker beeps.

The monitor doesn't come on, the keyboard is unpowered, it's a brick, the power button stops working, the CPU fan doesn't even turn on.

No post, nothing. Tried all sticks, 1 sticks, 2 sticks, all slots with all sticks, every combination.

I am getting into bios using alternate ram.

So either all 4 sticks suddenly stopped working at once ,after 6 year's of working perfectly.
Or some settings on my motherboard has changed.

It's possible the beta bios f16j doesn't work with this memory, f4 also don't work, I could revert back to f14.

Which is why I am considering manually entering the timings (while using the ram from another pc to enter bios)
Then attempting to start up with my ram

Again to be clear
Using - cm3x2048-1333c9dhx I can enter bios
Using - cmz16gx3m4x1600c9 the machine is a total brick and does not post

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Do you access to another system to check the apparently dead memory in?

If they previously worked properly, in this rig, then this isn't likely a BIOS issue. Seems would be a hardware issue (like static shock). Seems a rather specific thing to die like that though.

Dec 4, 2021
I erm found a -intel dx48bt2 in a cupboard, not even sure it works.
With a core 2 duo 9550.....
I can shove a stick in and see what happens
After I find a graphics card.... And a cooler....

Ok, it posts and I can access bios with a single stick......

So the memory seems to be working.

Now I am very confused. The ram works, the motherboard works.... Yet when I use them together, the pc won't post?

Dec 4, 2021
I tried flashing the bios to f4, f8, f14, f15 and now back to f16j.

Under f14 the post diagnostic LCD display 15 then 03, above f14 it displays 15 then repowers.

Motherboard functions with alternative memory.
Memory functions with alternative motherboard.

I am on bios f16j on default/auto settings.....

Should I manually change the speed and timings of the memory???

This seems like the only option left

Dec 4, 2021
I finally gave up and installed the old ram.
I loaded up into window, everything was fine, then I restarted

Now the same code 15, code 03 resets power.

This now happens with 2 different types of ddr3? That works perfectly in another machine.

Somehow, some way the motherboard seems to be blacklisting memory after loading into windows.

Shouldn't Wiping the bios remove anything windows is able to do?

Reactions: LowConsumptionFan
Mar 22, 2023
Hello I have the same exact problem with the same Motherboard and same error code (15 and 03). It's the strangest thing I have ever seen in my life. jonneedshelp, did you finally find a solution ? Fingers crossed that you are still reading this topic. I have already wasted 60€ on new RAM that got somehow blacklisted by the motherboard on reboot.

DSzymborski

Titan
Hello I have the same exact problem with the same Motherboard and same error code (15 and 03). It's the strangest thing I have ever seen in my life. jonneedshelp, did you finally find a solution ? Fingers crossed that you are still reading this topic. I have already wasted 60€ on new RAM that got somehow blacklisted by the motherboard on reboot.

This is a very generalized problem. If you need help with a specific PC, start a new thread with your exact specs and a detailed history of your problem. Don't just vaguely similar threads from a year and a half ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.