[SOLVED] PC won't post, won't give code, red dram led

Old_fritz

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016
Hi I'll try to keep this short. I'm trying to work on a PC my brother built for a friend that won't flash the bios

Here's the parts
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/colingan1080/saved/jtKL23#compatibility_notes

I've swapped about every component from my PC and his. The ram works, the GPU works, the PSU works, and I put my whole board in his PC just for kicks and it worked.

Took the whole board out and plugged everything on a cardboard box, nothing. The fans will spin, but peripherals will not turn on and the monitor is not getting a signal from the GPU. I'm thinking it's a bad motherboard because it won't post no matter what I do with the ram and I unplugged the CPU and still nothing except for the red dram light staying a solid red. Our cpus are incompatible since I have a 8700k but I took out the CPU and there were no bent pins (why does amd still use pins. I took it out and thought it was an fx series processor lol) and like I said I should still get the bios flash with it unplugged

Thoughts?

Solution
for the AM4 socket you should have went with the MSI Tomahawk mobo. works flawlessly with the AMD 5 series.

But needs flashed for new AMD cpus like the R9 series.

Old_fritz

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 needs a BIOS update prior to using Matisse CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS will require a different CPU that works with earlier BIOS version that the motherboard comes with.
Dang It's not like with some intel boards where you can just use a flashdrive to update the bios?