Question PC won't POST ?

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
So last year I upgraded to a Ryzen CPU and motherboard. I decided I would use my old hardware to build a PC for my nephew. Basically a:

ASUS H170 Pro Gaming
Intel i7 6700
GTX 1070 Ti
16GB of LPX Vengeance DDR4

I bought a case, PSU and SSD for the build.

So I put the RAM in slot A2 and B2 like I did when I was using it. But the PC wouldn't post. All the fans would run, the LED's on the motherboard worked, it just wouldn't post. It has a little red error light on it and it wouldn't go past the DRAM light. It would just hang there. I guess this would be like the old speaker and beeps on older hardware.

I have a 32GB kit and I tried that and it still wouldn't post. So I tried one stick in different slots. I can get the PC to post with ram sticks in the third and fourth slot. But only one stick. The motherboard manual basically says A2 and B2 are the configuration for dual channel. At least that's what I took from the diagram. That's the slots I used when I built my first gaming PC with the motherboard and same exact RAM kit in 2016 and it worked then and it was in dual channel.

Yes, I passed both sticks from the two RAM kits through the slots and they worked. The RAM isn't the problem. At least I don't.

So I put a stick of 16GB kit in the 3rd slot and It posted and went into the BIOS. The CPU is recognized in the BIOS as well as the one stick of RAM, the CPU fan, the two chassis fans and so on. But no matter how many times I tried reinstalling the RAM into slots A2 and B2 it wouldn't post. I did nothing to this motherboard except clean the thermal paste off the CPU and I even checked the CPU socket to make sure none got in there. I put back in the anti-static plastic bag and put it back in the box it came in. I was just using this motherboard last year with no issues.

So from all this I have the feeling the motherboard is the issue or the RAM slot is defective. Also it won't POST with RAM in the first slot either. Just the 3rd and 4th slot.

So I took a stick of the 32GB kit and put it in the 3rd slot. He has 16GB of RAM but it will be single channel. I told him about the issue. He said he would upgrade to a new CPU and motherboard later on.

Is there anything else I can do? I can't afford to buy him a new CPU and motherboard. I already spent nearly $300 on the case, PSU and SSD.

I also tried clearing the CMOS by removing the battery. That didn't work obviously.

Hi.

You might end up paying more money to revive that old system and 300 dollars for a case, PSU and SSD is kinda high. The 3 items should have been around 180 dollars. Not 300. For around 400 you can get a 6 cores CPU 10400F, B460 board, Corsair CX PSU, 500GB SSD and a case.

Last edited:

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
Hi.

You might end up paying more money to revive that old system and 300 dollars for a case, PSU and SSD is kinda high. The 3 items should have been around 180 dollars. Not 300. For around 400 you can get a 6 cores CPU 10400F, B460 board, Corsair CX PSU, 500GB SSD and a case.

Are you joking or something? Have you seen the prices on Newegg? I wanted him to have a good PSU, a decent case and SSD for a boot drive. So when he decides to upgrade to better CPU with a newer motherboard he wouldn't have tp spend as much. It was actually $285. The most expensive part was the PSU and it was $140.

Of course at the time I thought the motherboard was ok.

No I won't be spending the money cause like I can't afford it. He said he would.

Are you joking or something? Have you seen the prices on Newegg? I wanted him to have a good PSU, a decent case and SSD for a boot drive. So when he decides to upgrade to better CPU with a newer motherboard he wouldn't have tp spend as much. It was actually $285. The most expensive part was the PSU and it was $140.

Of course at the time I thought the motherboard was ok.

No I won't be spending the money cause like I can't afford it. He said he would.

I'm not joking no. I have no idea why you bought a 140 dollars PSU. A CX or TXM would have been enough and it's not 140 dollars.

That leave a good 100 dollars for a board isn't it?

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($53.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $198.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-30 18:04 EST-0500

I would have sold the defect board cheap + the I7 6700 for like 80-100 dollars. Would have bought a 10400F CPU + B460 board + the items that I linked. It would have made a total of around 330 dollars for total new system + that 1070TI.

I might be off here because I have no idea where you live so I don't know what currency you use and the prices of the items where you live.

Last edited:

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
I'm not joking no. I have no idea why you bought a 140 dollars PSU. A CX or TXM would have been enough and it's not 140 dollars.

That leave a good 100 dollars for a board isn't it?

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($53.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $198.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-30 18:04 EST-0500

I would have sold the defect board cheap + the I7 6700 for like 80-100 dollars. Would have bought a 10400F CPU + B460 board + the items that I linked. It would have made a total of around 330 dollars for total new system + that 1070TI.

I might be off here because I have no idea where you live so I don't know what currency you use and the prices of the items where you live.

I live in the US. I actually got the the SSD for my nephew cheaper than the one you listed. A WD Blue for $40 from Newegg. The case I bought was a Fractal Meshify C for $80, just $20 more than the case you listed. The PSU I bought was an EVGA 80 plus gold 750 watt for $140.

I don't buy anything from Amazon if I don't have to. I have been ripped off on that site before and Amazon is my last resort for anything. I prefer to do business with more reputable retailers even if that means I pay a premium. Knowing I can get a refund is worth it.

My original plan was to sell the I7 6700, H170 Pro Gaming the 16GB memory kit and a R9 390 I have to someone and they never contacted me about it. So I decided that I would just use the parts to build my nephew a gaming PC. Now that I know the motherboard is defective I would never sell it to anyone. I guess without the board the CPU is basically worthless as well cause it won't work any of the newer intel boards. It's just cheaper to get a new board and CPU. Unless you buy old used hardware which comes with issues. Mine being a perfect example.

Last edited:

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
Try removing and reseating the cpu, checking for any bent pins or any that didn't seat correctly. Then try the ram again. I think you'll have success this time. :) And post back!

Again it's an intel CPU so it has no pins to bend. The CPU is seated correctly. The CPU is recognized by the motherboard in the BIOS. I imagine if there was an issue with the CPU it wouldn't work at all.

My nephew said he wants to get a new CPU and motherboard anyway.

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
Try removing and reseating the cpu, checking for any bent pins or any that didn't seat correctly. Then try the ram again. I think you'll have success this time. :) And post back!

I just did that and it didn't solve the issue. All 4 cores and 8 threads are working though. Of course the memory is in single channel. Nothing else I can do. If he decides to get a new CPU and motherboard I will install it for him.