[SOLVED] PC Won't power off after shut down

Notorious^

Reputable
Feb 17, 2019
So my build is almost 2 years old and ran into a new issue i can't solve. So when i boot my PC down, it does logout of windows just fine however the PC will not power off and i have to hold the power button down to shut it off, its never done this before. I have done some research and so far the steps i have read on doesn't apply to my build such as my BIOS is updated, my drivers are up to date , etc.

Now if i boot up my PC and immediately try to shut it down, it shuts down just fine, no issues. But if i leave it on for a few hours then that's where it won't power off when i do a shut down.

I wanted to ask if anyone has ran into this, my only thoughts on "what has changed" is the windows version 2004 update and i installed the software suite for my Crucial P1 NVMe Drive. Only other step i can think of is to wipe the drive and reinstall windows unless someone has something they think i should try before doing that.

Solution
First - update your post to include full systemhardware specs.

Second - power down, unplug, and open the case. Clean out dust and debris. Reseat all cables, cards, RAM, and jumpers to ensure that all are fully and firmly in place.

Third - look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, or informational events recorded when the PC was shut down.

Overall, my thought is that (for whatever reason) the PSU is not getting or receiving the "time to shutdown" message.

Ralston18

Titan
First - update your post to include full systemhardware specs.

Second - power down, unplug, and open the case. Clean out dust and debris. Reseat all cables, cards, RAM, and jumpers to ensure that all are fully and firmly in place.

Third - look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, or informational events recorded when the PC was shut down.

Overall, my thought is that (for whatever reason) the PSU is not getting or receiving the "time to shutdown" message.

Solution

Notorious^

Reputable
Feb 17, 2019
Thank you for the ideas. My specs are in my sig, no need to retype it all out.

no dust or dirt in the system, i keep it very clean.

i guess i can try to reseat the power cables.

thanks