Question PC won't properly boot after installing new RAM

Sep 12, 2019
Hello. I have a pretty old HP computer, bought back in 2010. Here are its components:

• CPU: i3 550 3.20 GHz
  • GPU: MSI GeForce GT 730 2GB OC (Came with an ATI Radeon 5450 HD which eventually died and was replaced by the GT 730)
  • RAM: 2x2GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 665 MHz
  • Motherboard: MSI 2A9C

The RAM I'm trying to install is two sticks of Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3-1600MHz (KVR16N11S8/4)

Here's what happens:

a) I use my pre-installed RAM • My PC boots up just fine.

b) I install one or both sticks of the new RAM without removing my old RAM • My PC automatically shuts down after the diagnostics screen or 2-3 seconds after I enter the BIOS.3

c) I only install 1 stick of the new RAM after removing my old RAM • My PC freezes as it tries to boot Windows and enters an infinite loop of rebooting, freezing while booting Windows and entering an Automatic Repair Mode or whatever. If I enter the BIOS I can clearly see that my PC recognizes the new RAM just fine, so I suppose that it's not just a bad stick.

d) I install both new sticks of RAM after removing the old RAM • My PC either seems to boot but my screen remains completely black, or it freezes while trying to boot Windows. Again, if I enter the BIOS I can see that my PC recognizes both sticks.

I researched this a bit, and found out about RAM voltage. However, after searching in my BIOS, I can't seem to find such an option.

Any suggestions?