[SOLVED] PC wont restart, refuses to run RAM at proper speeds.

mathieub

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
AMD R9 5900x
ASUS TUF 570X-Pro
RTX 3080 FTW 3 Ultra
Corsair RM750X

Basically PC boots normally from a completely shut off state.
  • Does not go further than the POST screen on a restart due to updates or anything etc.
  • RAM is own is listed as Compatible with the Asus TUF 570X-Pro directly from their website, doesnt matter if I manually put in timings or run the profile.

Things ive done, Completely reinstalled windows, updated BIOS to latest version.

Any ideas?

Solution
Overclock manually.
Set DRAM parameters:
DRAM voltage 1.35V
Command rate 2T
Latencies 18-19-19-39

Set DDR frequency to 2133mhz, test.
Increase DDR frequency and test again 2400,2600,2800,2933,3000,3200,3400,3600,3800,4000mhz.
When test fails, return to previous settings, that worked.

Run memtest86 at the end, to verify stability.

mathieub

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
Hey there,

Have you cleared CMOS after bios? If not, check your manual and do so. That might resolve this issue.

Have you tried setting the dimms at a lower speed? Say 3600mhz?

DIMMS will run at a slower speed like 3200, however as much as I understand that I could do so I did not buy them to run at a slower speed.
I've cleared my CMOS tons of times before but ill give it another quick shot.

mathieub

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
Hey there,

Have you cleared CMOS after bios? If not, check your manual and do so. That might resolve this issue.

Have you tried setting the dimms at a lower speed? Say 3600mhz?

Just cleared CMOS, issue still persists, still wont restart, stops on post screen, also cant enter BIOS on that post screen its like the PC is frozen on a restart.

DIMMS will run at a slower speed like 3200, however as much as I understand that I could do so I did not buy them to run at a slower speed.
I've cleared my CMOS tons of times before but ill give it another quick shot.
Yes, of course. I get that. We just wanna see if any difference in running at lower speeds.

Which exact dimms are you using? Can you link the models?

It might be worth trying memtest86+ to test ram outside of windows. See if there are any errors on them.
You will need a thumb drive to set up a bootable version of memtest.

mathieub

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
Yes, of course. I get that. We just wanna see if any difference in running at lower speeds.

Which exact dimms are you using? Can you link the models?

It might be worth trying memtest86+ to test ram outside of windows. See if there are any errors on them.
You will need a thumb drive to set up a bootable version of memtest.

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4000 (PC4 32000) Intel Z270 / Z370 Desktop Memory Model F4-4000C18Q-32GTZ - Newegg.ca

ram im currently using, I was using another set of Trident Royal before this but saw they werent on the supported list on ASUS so I got this set but it has the exact same issue.

mathieub

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
Can you get to the boot order? If not that may not allow you to run memtest.

I can just hard shut down the PC and get into the boot order no problem, its genuinely just the restart function that doesnt work, its rather strange. Ive also thought maybe PSU because 750w is so on the edge of the required power for my system.

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4000 (PC4 32000) Intel Z270 / Z370 Desktop Memory Model F4-4000C18Q-32GTZ - Newegg.ca

ram im currently using, I was using another set of Trident Royal before this but saw they werent on the supported list on ASUS so I got this set but it has the exact same issue.
It might be that the SOC voltage needs upping to take the 4 dimms. If SOC is at 1.2v kick it up to 1.25 and see if that helps.

Your PSU is pretty good, and should be enough. You will not be drawing 750w, prob at most about 600-650w actual.

See if you can test the dimms with memtest. If any errors, RMA them.

That motherboard is not guaranteed to run RAM over 3200MHz. Anything higher is considered overclocking. Scroll down to the Memory section:
Memory Tech Spec

Just because it is advertised to run 5100 MHz doesn't mean it will always run that speed. Sometimes yes. Sometimes No. It's called the "silicone lottery."

Your processor is also limited to 3200MHz and anything above that is considered overclocking.
See System Memory Specification here

So it could be either or both that won't run it at the faster speeds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

mathieub

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
That motherboard is not guaranteed to run RAM over 3200MHz. Anything higher is considered overclocking. Scroll down to the Memory section:
Memory Tech Spec

Just because it is advertised to run 5100 MHz doesn't mean it will always run that speed. Sometimes yes. Sometimes No. It's called the "silicone lottery."

Your processor is also limited to 3200MHz and anything above that is considered overclocking.
See System Memory Specification here

So it could be either or both that won't run it at the faster speeds.

Fair enough, any thoughts on why it sticks in post on reboot? Currently running memtest

Fair enough, any thoughts on why it sticks in post on reboot? Currently running memtest
4 ram modules probably will not run at full rated speed.
You'd have a better chance with just 2 modules.

You'll have to overclock ram manually to find max stable frequency.
Can you show screenshots from CPU-Z - memory and spd sections?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

mathieub

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
4 ram modules probably will not run at full rated speed.
You'd have a better chance with just 2 modules.

You'll have to overclock ram manually to find max stable frequency.
Can you show screenshots from CPU-Z - memory and spd sections?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

CeIQkS5.png
7PSkxo0.png

Overclock manually.
Set DRAM parameters:
DRAM voltage 1.35V
Command rate 2T
Latencies 18-19-19-39

Set DDR frequency to 2133mhz, test.
Increase DDR frequency and test again 2400,2600,2800,2933,3000,3200,3400,3600,3800,4000mhz.
When test fails, return to previous settings, that worked.

Run memtest86 at the end, to verify stability.

Solution