Question PC won't show display after CPU upgrade but worked fine for a few hours.

Oct 21, 2024
Hi! I recently upgraded my CPU from a Ryzen 5 1600AF to a Ryzen 7 5700. My MOBO is a Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2. Here's what I did:

• Upgraded BIOS
  • Installed new CPU
  • Everything worked fine for a couple of hours.
  • It crashed during a game.
  • "Preparing automatic repairs" message showed up and got stucked.
  • Turned PC off and on and it showed no display.
  • Reinstalled RAM sticks.
  • Reseted CMOS.
Nothing changed after all of these steps so I put my old CPU back and it worked ok. I'm starting to think the CPU is not compatible with the MOBO but then why did it work for a couple of hours? Honestly this is breaking my mind. Any help would be appreciated.

Components
Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2
Asus 4060Ti
CORSAIR 8GBx2 DDR4 3200 MHZ VENGEANCE LPX BLACK
XFX Pro 650W PSU ATX

Oct 14, 2024
Reset the BIOS: reset the BIOS settings to their default values. You can usually do this by removing the CMOS battery from the motherboard for a few minutes and then reinserting it. Make sure to disconnect the power cable before attempting this. Remove and reseat the RAM modules.

Not sure if you re-installed your operating system, but that wouldn't be a bad thing to try. Sometimes drivers can get a bit weird when you make a hardware change like that. If it weren't compatible with the mobo, I imagine it wouldn't work at all. The fact that you got the "automatic repairs" message tells me your operating system is having issues with the new CPU. Resetting the BIOS isn't a bad idea either.

Since you have the old CPU in now, I'd recommend backing up your data to an external drive, then install the new CPU and go through a fresh Windows installation (assuming that's your OS).