PC Won't shut down with hard shutdown

Stingray2U

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
I have an HP Pavilion desktop that's about four years old. It locked up a few times in recent months while running Ubuntu Linux (dual booted with Win). The last time I did a hard shutdown with the power button and started it back up, it came back on with lights, fan, and hard drive but no video. It doesn't wake the monitor out of sleep. The monitor is on. So no BIOS, no OS.

Now here's where it gets interesting: I hold down the power button and nothing happens. I hold it for at least 30 seconds and NOTHING. It won't shut down. The only option at this point is to unplug it.

I opened it up and cleared the CMOS. Nada! Still no video and won't shut down.

I don't know what's wrong. Is it the processor? The memory? It can't be just the onboard video because it won't do a hard shutdown. Do I get a new board with CPU and memory? That surely should do it.

Any thoughts?

Solution
I would suspect your graphics card has blown. Your best bet though is ring HP support - even if you're out of warranty they will likely be happy to point you in the right direction (and try and sell you something...)

snowctrl

Distinguished
I would suspect your graphics card has blown. Your best bet though is ring HP support - even if you're out of warranty they will likely be happy to point you in the right direction (and try and sell you something...)

Solution

Stingray2U

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014

Thanks snowctrl, I just may do that. If anyone should know, it should be them, right? Well...

snowctrl

Distinguished

That's the theory.... :)