Question PC won't start after fresh install

Feb 1, 2023
Hello.

Yesterday my PC restarted out of nowhere, for no apparently reason. I was watching primevideo on Chrome when it happened.
Then I decided to do a fresh install. Booted via usb and all, but after the fresh install, it would either restart as soon as windows would start to load or ask for Reboot or select boot device.

Right now, I have cleaned 1 ssd and 1 hdd, and installed windows on both of them multiple times. It's installed on HDD now and it simply restarts after the ASUS logo dissapears And it appears again with the loading simbol below it.

Computer is a ryzen 5 5600(new, 1 month old), b450 gaming asus (bios updated 2 months ago to use the new cpu), rtx 3060, 2x 3200mhz hyperx ram (using 1 stick right now to discard ram problems).

I have tried all the conventional stuff: bios reset, gpt partition, tried entering safe mode, etc.

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
Hello.

Yesterday my PC restarted out of nowhere, for no apparently reason. I was watching primevideo on Chrome when it happened.
Then I decided to do a fresh install. Booted via usb and all, but after the fresh install, it would either restart as soon as windows would start to load or ask for Reboot or select boot device.

Right now, I have cleaned 1 ssd and 1 hdd, and installed windows on both of them multiple times. It's installed on HDD now and it simply restarts after the ASUS logo dissapears And it appears again with the loading simbol below it.

Computer is a ryzen 5 5600(new, 1 month old), b450 gaming asus (bios updated 2 months ago to use the new cpu), rtx 3060, 2x 3200mhz hyperx ram (using 1 stick right now to discard ram problems).

I have tried all the conventional stuff: bios reset, gpt partition, tried entering safe mode, etc.
Your computer has a failing component which doing a "fresh install" will do nothing to cure.
My recommendation is to NOT reinstall windows at the first sign of problems but rather to diagnose and fix the issue that led you to believe Windows needs to be reinstalled in the first place.

My guess from your described symptoms is you have a failing power supply.

Feb 1, 2023
Your computer has a failing component which doing a "fresh install" will do nothing to cure.
My recommendation is to NOT reinstall windows at the first sign of problems but rather to diagnose and fix the issue that led you to believe Windows needs to be reinstalled in the first place.

My guess from your described symptoms is you have a failing power supply.
Why power supply tho? And I have a ssd specifically for windows so I don't mind. And it rules out a bunch of other problems.
How would I even test to see if it's the power supply? Just check if the voltages are correctly using a multimeter?

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
"And I have a ssd specifically for windows so I don't mind."
Um...you don't mind what? What does this mean?

"Why power supply tho?" - "Yesterday my PC restarted out of nowhere, for no apparently reason."

"How would I even test to see if it's the power supply? Just check if the voltages are correctly using a multimeter?" You CAN test a power supply with a multimeter, but that can give poor results because a multimeter doesn't put a load on the system. A meter might show good voltage and still be bad under load. Kind of like you can still test a car battery and get 12v yet have nowhere near enough juice to start a car. So multimeter tests can be misleading. Ideally you need a power supply tester, but not having one of those you can try the meter route. Best way is to swap the potentially bad unit out with a known working (new) one and see if that fixes things.

Feb 1, 2023
"And I have a ssd specifically for windows so I don't mind."
Um...you don't mind what? What does this mean?

"Why power supply tho?" - "Yesterday my PC restarted out of nowhere, for no apparently reason."

"How would I even test to see if it's the power supply? Just check if the voltages are correctly using a multimeter?" You CAN test a power supply with a multimeter, but that can give poor results because a multimeter doesn't put a load on the system. A meter might show good voltage and still be bad under load. Kind of like you can still test a car battery and get 12v yet have nowhere near enough juice to start a car. So multimeter tests can be misleading. Ideally you need a power supply tester, but not having one of those you can try the meter route. Best way is to swap the potentially bad unit out with a known working (new) one and see if that fixes things.

I dont mind doing a fresh install of windows because I have a SSD just for windows.

So I got my wife Power Supply, mine is a corsair 650w, hers is a gigabyte 550w. The same problem occured.
Tried using one of her RAM sticks too, still same problem.

And although I understand that restarting out of nowhere looks like a PSU problem, the acrual problem is a bit different, since it restarts as soon as it starts to boot. Even the flash drive, when I let it boot, it loads for a while but when the loading symbol appear and it starts to actually load to open, it restarts again.

The only things I didn't test were CPU, but I could change for the old one (still works, its just old), and GPU but that's unlikely.
It still could be the MoBo.

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
I dont mind doing a fresh install of windows because I have a SSD just for windows.

So I got my wife Power Supply, mine is a corsair 650w, hers is a gigabyte 550w. The same problem occured.
Tried using one of her RAM sticks too, still same problem.

And although I understand that restarting out of nowhere looks like a PSU problem, the acrual problem is a bit different, since it restarts as soon as it starts to boot. Even the flash drive, when I let it boot, it loads for a while but when the loading symbol appear and it starts to actually load to open, it restarts again.

The only things I didn't test were CPU, but I could change for the old one (still works, its just old), and GPU but that's unlikely.
It still could be the MoBo.
I mean, the process is to eliminate one thing at a time and eventually you'll find the culprit. But just dying out of the blue like that sounds like either a hard drive went south or the psu quit. Usually failing motherboards are a "slow creep", they don't usually just tank out. Usually if it has bad capacitors or something you'll slowly start to see errors creep in. Unless there was some voltage spike or something that hit while you were watching a movie.

Feb 1, 2023
I mean, the process is to eliminate one thing at a time and eventually you'll find the culprit. But just dying out of the blue like that sounds like either a hard drive went south or the psu quit. Usually failing motherboards are a "slow creep", they don't usually just tank out. Usually if it has bad capacitors or something you'll slowly start to see errors creep in. Unless there was some voltage spike or something that hit while you were watching a movie.

Since it "died" but the powe never went off, it does sounds like MoBo. I mean, it works fine on BIOS, but can't even boot a flash drive. Just tested the ssd and it works fine on another pc. I will just buy a new MoBo and PSU I guess

Feb 1, 2023
Ok update.

After using another pc to test the SSD, now when it starts loading it restarts but sometimes, it try to open automatic repair, and even loads diagnosing the PC, but then it never truly loads windows.