[SOLVED] PC wont start. fans spin for less than 1 sec then stop

AshB67

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2016
My system is about 4 years old, have never changed components. everything was working fine yesterday, i shut off the pc last night. this morning it would not start.
only software changes from yesterday were i deleted microsoft teams ( but i doubt that would cause this issue).

I tried:
-removing power switch cable and booting with flat head screw driver
-resetting cmos
switching power chord
-moving the RAM sticks to different slots
-unplugging gpu
-checked all cable connections
-paper clip test to check psu: fan spins

specs
i5 4460
gtx 960 4gb
8 gb gskill ripjaws ddr3 1600
asrock h97 pro 4
wd hhd and crucial ssd
cm v550 psu

any troubleshooting tips would be appreciated

Solution
I think price-wise v.s. risk, then replacing PSU is the safer option. Also I've not (yet) experienced a case where a malfunctioning CPU causes an issue similar to this.
If a CPU is not setted correctly it can cause what he is describing, but its very rare. Its like a small short-circuit because the mobo's pin are touching what they shouldnt touch and the CPU turns off to protect itself. But yea if the CPU is correctly installed the PSU would be the next option and in the worst case would be the mobo

AshB67

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2016
I saw that as the solution to similar forums, was hoping that wasn't the case. Seems odd , Ive never had issues with it before and thought cooler master PSUs were high quality. Ill have to check the warranty on that

Feb 26, 2020
I think price-wise v.s. risk, then replacing PSU is the safer option. Also I've not (yet) experienced a case where a malfunctioning CPU causes an issue similar to this.
If a CPU is not setted correctly it can cause what he is describing, but its very rare. Its like a small short-circuit because the mobo's pin are touching what they shouldnt touch and the CPU turns off to protect itself. But yea if the CPU is correctly installed the PSU would be the next option and in the worst case would be the mobo

Solution
Its like a small short-circuit because the mobo's pin are touching what they shouldnt touch and the CPU turns off to protect itself.
Well, if that is the case then it won't help reseat the CPU because that means that there is no spacers between the cabinet bottom plate and the motherboard.
Also if that is the case, then probably both the mainboard and the CPU is destroyed.

However - In all of my build (but no fancy pc cabinets) - I'd have noticed if the spacers where missing, because the connection slots on the rear wouldn't have fitted in the slice back in the cabinet.

Feb 26, 2020
Well, if that is the case then it won't help reseat the CPU because that means that there is no spacers between the cabinet bottom plate and the motherboard.
Also if that is the case, then probably both the mainboard and the CPU is destroyed.

However - In all of my build (but no fancy pc cabinets) - I'd have noticed if the spacers where missing, because the connection slots on the rear wouldn't have fitted in the slice back in the cabinet.
The s/c is usually caused by a bad contact between the cpu and mobo. When that is the case, the cpu turns off automatically to protect itself. In all the cases ive faced there wasnt any substantial dmg either on the mobo nor on the CPU. The computer simply wont boot.

AshB67

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2016
What you describe is not caused by software. I'd guess that the PSU is going bad and need replacement.
Ok so... replaced the PSU (seasonic s12iii 500W). for the first 10 seconds or so fans were spinning, everything was looking good. After that the fans are now spinning for a few seconds, stopping, then starting again- this is a continuous cycle. there is an audible click coming from the PSU when the fans stop. could the new PSU be deffective?

Edit: the issue is not the PSU, i tried multiple new ones and they tested the one I returned with a meter - worked fine.

Im guessing the mobo is the next suspect?

Last edited:

AshB67

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2016
yes, i tried booting with only the 8 pin and 24 pin PSU cables connected to the motherboard. same issue, cpu fan spins for a sec then stops.

Thats a bummer, the socket on my mobo is a few years old (LGA 1150) so it may be difficult to find a replacement. Would retailers still carry these motherboards? (I live in Cananda)

Jan 19, 2020
yes, i tried booting with only the 8 pin and 24 pin PSU cables connected to the motherboard. same issue, cpu fan spins for a sec then stops.

Thats a bummer, the socket on my mobo is a few years old (LGA 1150) so it may be difficult to find a replacement. Would retailers still carry these motherboards? (I live in Cananda)

Did you find a good replacement mobo?

I have
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Intel LGA1150 Z97
Intel Core i5 i5-4690K CPU

same restart issue with a click from PSU, had same issue 2 years ago and and a replacement mobo solved it. Same issue from replacement. not sure if MSI z97 had a known issue with this.

I want keep everything but which LGA1150