Question PC won't start unless left with power cable unplugged

alh_p

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
Hi,

I have a fun question for you: After a certain time (e.g. hours) of use, if i shut down my PC it will then (sometimes) not power on again the next time I come to use it unless I disconnect the mains power cable and leave it for some time (usually a minimum of 3 minutes). Usually I have the PC on for a few hours of an evening or up to half the day, then turn off at night, then the next day it won't turn on.

I have lived with this issue for a few months now and arrived at the current working practice: I unplug my PC mains power cable on power off and reconnect when i want to use it. I also turn the PSU switch on/off as well accordingly. At times, on reconnecting the cable or flipping the PSU switch, I hear a pop of discharge.

I have had the issue a while and googled all sorts of things that may relate to it. I swapped out the case power switch, to no effect. I had even been using a UPS when this issue first emerged but for the last month have been using a Belkin surge protector. I have upgraded my Mobo/CPU during this time, with no effect. My PSU has remained unchanged and is a relatively decent one: a Corsair AX760 760W 80+ .

The issue has come and gone at times, but has been present in both summer and winter months. I think the issue also presents if I leave the PC connected for a while without turning it on, but it's had to be sure.

Is this a problem with static charge? Normally I thought that was related to the user (i.e. me) building up charge and then transferring it to the case when powering on - which is possible I guess but I've read that leaving the system connected (and grounded through the mains cable) prevents dangerous (to the PC components) discharge - but that's seems contrary to my fix. We do have wool and synthetic carpet (including under the PC tower) and i wear clothing & slippers that contribute to static issues too.

My fix might be the equivalent of a superstitious gesture to ward off something simple I just don't know about though of course!

Help!

alh_p

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
Thanks - the case isn't grounded other than through the mains power, so not while it's unplugged.

This evening, i connected the cable, flipped the PSU switch and at that point heard the pop of a discharge. I was holding the case at the time.

I've seen other ground their case with a wire from the case to a nail or grounding pin. It can be done quite crudely and work I think?