[SOLVED] PC won't start with GPU plugged in.

Apr 6, 2022
So I have an ROG Gundam 3080, but just yesterday it seemingly died. I've used the card for mining for a couple of months and it's worked fine up until now. I've monitored the temps almost daily and can say that it most likely wasn't thermal throttling. (VRAM temps were in the mid to high 80s). Whenever the GPU is plugged my PC refuses to post, no lights, fan, or activity of any kind. If any other gpu is plugged into it, the pc will post, and if there is nothing in the pcie slot, the fans and motherboard lights will function. I've tried using the GPU on a different computer to no avail. I'm not at all certain what could have caused it. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
So I have an ROG Gundam 3080, but just yesterday it seemingly died. I've used the card for mining for a couple of months and it's worked fine up until now. I've monitored the temps almost daily and can say that it most likely wasn't thermal throttling. (VRAM temps were in the mid to high 80s). Whenever the GPU is plugged my PC refuses to post, no lights, fan, or activity of any kind. If any other gpu is plugged into it, the pc will post, and if there is nothing in the pcie slot, the fans and motherboard lights will function. I've tried using the GPU on a different computer to no avail. I'm not at all certain what could have caused it. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

That behaviour sound like there is a short...

That behaviour sound like there is a short circuit on the graphics card, normally with a dead card the machine will still try and boot up however you will either get rubbish on the screen or no display output. If possible your best bet is to RMA the card.

If RMA isn't possible then the positive thing is if it's a short that likely means it's blown a capacitor or other passive component - in which case the card may be repairable. If you have some electronics experience you could test this by doing a continuity check between the various power pins on the cards PCIe edge connector and power input connectors to ground. If you identify a short circuit on a specific pin you should then be able to trace this through to find the blown part.

Reactions: Vegvisir465
Solution
Apr 6, 2022
That behaviour sound like there is a short circuit on the graphics card, normally with a dead card the machine will still try and boot up however you will either get rubbish on the screen or no display output. If possible your best bet is to RMA the card.

If RMA isn't possible then the positive thing is if it's a short that likely means it's blown a capacitor or other passive component - in which case the card may be repairable. If you have some electronics experience you could test this by doing a continuity check between the various power pins on the cards PCIe edge connector and power input connectors to ground. If you identify a short circuit on a specific pin you should then be able to trace this through to find the blown part.

I see, I also thought it was odd that my PC refused to try and boot regardless of the card working or not. I'm attempting to RMA the card but as I bought the card 2nd hand, it's entirely up to if the seller can send me the needed information. (mistake on my part not requesting that information in the first place).

I do have an additional thing to note. When the card has its power unplugged but it's still slotted into the PCIe slot 3 red leds will light up above the plugs for the power. So the card is not entirely destroyed in any case. Would this align with it having a blown capacitor or passive component?

I have little to no electronics experience, but I'll look into it and see what I can do if the RMA doesn't work out. Thanks for the hlep!

Apr 6, 2022
You can help yourself in identifying which header has short by connecting only one cable at a time. With good connector used you will see two red lights; while the bad one used will prevent system from starting.

Interesting, I'll try that later tonight. Upon identifying which header contains the short what would be the next step to finding the root of the problem?