[SOLVED] PC wont start with new RTX 4070-S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2024
I bought a new ASUS RTX 4070 SUPER OC.

Took out my old GTX 1060, connected the 12 pin PCIE adapter that came with the 4070-S to the 8 pin PCIE cable my 1060 was using, as well as another 8 pin PCIE I had laying around and had never used.

Inserted the 4070-S in, turned on the PSU switch and immediately see a red light coming from LED2 on the GPU. Try to turn the PC on and nothing happens, no fans spin, no sound, no other lights.

I took out the 4070-S as well as the PCIE cables. PC turns on successfuly again. I put the PCIE cables back in together with the 12 pin adapter (connected to the PSU and nothing on the other end), PC doesn't turn on!

I keep the PCIE cables in and take out just the adapter and it turns on again.

This leads me to believe either:
-The adapter that came with the RTX 4070-S is faulty.
-The PCIE cable I hadn't been using before is faulty.
-PSU is too weak?

PSU is a CoolerMaster 750W 80+ Bronze.

Other specs in case relevant:
CPU: intel i7 9700k
MOBO: Gigabyte Z390 UD
RAM: 32GB Corsair Ballistix DDR4
HDD: WD Blue 500GB
SSD: Nvme WD Black SN750

is my PSU supposed to be strong enough? is there anything else I should try?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the unit? Coolermaster is the brand of the unit, while 750W is the advertised wattage of the unit and 80+ bronze is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating of the unit what is the model of the unit?

Reactions: Aevee_
Jul 11, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the unit? Coolermaster is the brand of the unit, while 750W is the advertised wattage of the unit and 80+ bronze is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating of the unit what is the model of the unit?
MasterWatt 750, should be exactly 5 years since I bought it.

Jul 11, 2024
does anyone know if the MasterWatt 750 should be compatible with RTX 4070-S?
also, I think my PCI-E cables are 8 pin to 6+2. do those work with the nvidia 12vhpwr connector?

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
as well as another 8 pin PCIE I had laying around and had never used.

Wish i would have seen this when you posted. If the pcie cable you had laying around wasn't included with the psu you had running then that's why, short prevention. Very lucky if that were the case. Pinouts from psu end don't follow a standard between manufacturers and even again sometimes between different models from the same manufacturer, can easily lead to frying components. You got it done now but fyi never mix modular cables, only use what the unit comes with.

Status
Not open for further replies.