Question Pc won't start

karens1983

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017
Hi, I bought a pc for my son to play Fortnite etc on a couple of years ago... It was a prebuilt one from Amazon, h110m something or other motherboard, i5 7400 processor, 8gb ram which was enough for him once I'd added a zotac geforce 1050 ti gpu to it.

Anyway slowly it started going wrong and I took it to my local PC repair shop who told me the motherboard capacitors were probably damaged but gave me a workaround, which did work for a while. Then it stopped booting altogether.

So I recently bought a new case and motherboard and then transferred all the old parts over to the new mobo/case, but I think I bent the CPU whilst putting it in, and I was getting a strange beep code, so I eventually decided to just buy a new pc.

Again from Amazon, it was advertised as refurbished, these are the specs:

CPU - i5-2400
Gpu - NVidia GT710 2GB
Ram - 8gb

The psu is an unbranded 500w one.

Anyway I switched it on, downloaded and loaded up fortnite, saw how bad the frame rate was and turned it off then changed the gpu for the 1050ti that was in the previous pc. I didn't change the power supply as I only have a Corsair 550w one that was in the old pc and I wasn't sure if that was working properly or not...

It worked well at first, then 4 hours later it froze along with the blue screen of death saying "a problem was detected, this computer needs to restart".

At first, just.turning it off and on again would help, it would last another hour then happen again, then it would happen after half an hour, I put the original Gpu back in and the same thing happened, and it got to the point where it wouldnt boot at all. This is within the space of 6-7 hours.

I've had various error messages, from "inaccessible boot device", to "all setting were reset to defaults" and something about kmode exceptions :(

Now all I get is the motherboard logo popping up, then a black screen and I can see and move the cursor but nothing happens; if I leave it like that, after a while it goes to the blue screen again and we can get to the advanced repair option menu.

System restore says no changes were able to be made, resetting the pc says the same. Can anyone help?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It worked well at first, then 4 hours later it froze along with the blue screen of death saying "a problem was detected, this computer needs to restart".
Are you able to get the dump files for these stop errors? They are usually in C:/Minidump - understand if you can't even access the PC.

Presumably the PC came with Windows loaded on it already?

The psu is an unbranded 500w one.
This could well be an issue, poor quality PSUs cause all manner of hassle (See point 1 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/ )

If it is new however, I would just return it, the seller should resolve it, not you IMO!

karens1983

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017
Yes well the trouble is, it had a little sticker on the case so that when it's opened, it invalidates the warranty. However, I hadn't even registered the pc yet!

I've contacted them but not holding out any hope.

No idea how I would get hold of dump files :(

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yes well the trouble is, it had a little sticker on the case so that when it's opened, it invalidates the warranty. However, I hadn't even registered the pc yet!

I've contacted them but not holding out any hope.

No idea how I would get hold of dump files :(
In which case send it back. There's no point voiding warranties, and this (after a clean install) would likely need components testing.

Did it come preloaded with windows?