Pc won't turn on after being shut down

villheinshingleton

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017
So after coming home from school I tried to turn on my pc that I built about 2 months ago, to find that nothing happened. No fans came on or anything. After about an hour of messing with the power cord I got it to start and it worked fine all night. I shut it off and went to bed. In the morning the same thing happened. No sign of power. Except this time it never turned on. The psu is working but I have no way of testing the other components. I don't know whether its the mobo, cpu, or ram. There was no damage to the pc because it was just turned off all day before I tried to start it.
Specs:
FX 8350
Gigabyte GTX 1050 2gb
8gb Hyper x ram
Msi 970 gaming motherboard
750 watt psu

Solution
I wouldn't think the CPU unless you over volted. If you didn't push 1.6+ volts on the CPU the motherboard, video card, or possibly a grounding is more likely the issue. I suggest unbolting the motherboard and take it out of the case. Set it near the case on the motherboard box. With everything plugged up test to see if the motherboard was grounding on the case to cause the issue.

If there is no change then its probably the motherboard.
You should test with another power supply. Here is a good quality low cost 520w that can handle upto a GTX1080. Your 1050 should be easy to power. Sound like on your old PSU protection circuitry. Unpluggin tends to reset the protection but sounds like it may be try to protect your parts.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $39.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-11 00:02 EDT-0400

Well if it wouldn't start with the new 500 watt then pull out a stick of RAM if you have 2. Swap it out for the other to see if the issue remains. Unhook all the drives to see if you can get to bios. Try reseating the video card by pulling it out and put it back in to ensure a good connection.

I wouldn't think the CPU unless you over volted. If you didn't push 1.6+ volts on the CPU the motherboard, video card, or possibly a grounding is more likely the issue. I suggest unbolting the motherboard and take it out of the case. Set it near the case on the motherboard box. With everything plugged up test to see if the motherboard was grounding on the case to cause the issue.

If there is no change then its probably the motherboard.

Solution