Question PC won't turn on after several months of working fine ?

Jan 8, 2023
Hello all, I'm rather new to the PC building world and have a problem with my PC not turning on. It has been working fine for a few months, but I went away for a week and came back to this problem. There have been a few power outages in the area in that time, but previous outages didn't cause any issues and the computer is plugged into a surge protector.

Looking inside, there is a light on in the motherboard when plugged in, so it seems like power is getting there just fine. I also tried the paperclip test on the PSU and the fans spun normally. But when I tried to jump the mobo, nothing happened. Interestingly, I have the same symptom as the person in this thread, https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ird-issues-with-the-24-pin-atx-cable.3545073/, where if I have the 24-pin ATX cable in a exact position, the GPU and CPU fans power on but still no proper boot. I'm going to order another PSU like the other person, but I was wondering if you guys had any advice on what the issue could be?

Thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i3-10100F 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock B560M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI VENTUS XS OC GeForce GTX 1650 G5 4 GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 400 N1 400 W ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Sceptre E205W-16003R 19.5" 1600 x 900 75 Hz Monitor

The "paper clip" test is useful only to confirm a dead psu.
It says nothing about proper operation.

Surge protectors do not protect as much as you might hope .

The only way to test a psu is to replace with a known good quality unit.
Your cpu is capable of running a stronger graphics card so I would look for a quality psu in the 750 or even 850w range.
A psu will only use the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.

One way to estimate quality is to look for a psu with a 7 year or better warranty.
Seasonic focus 550w with a 7 year warranty is $108:
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-550-gold-ssr-550fm-550w/p/N82E16817151203
The 650w is only $12 more and 750w $10 more