Question PC won't turn on (completly dead) HELP!

meyer_fede

Commendable
Feb 9, 2019
I have a 6 year old Thermaltake Smart m Series 1000w PSU (5 years warranty), recently I upgraded from a GTX 1060 to an RTX 3080, first day I just installed the GPU and had no problems at all, it ran smoothly the whole day, I turned off my PC to go to bed and the next day this happens...

I press the power button and I watched the PC turn on for a split second and turn off immediately, after this the PC won't turn on anymore, not even for a split second like the first time, I mean there are no signs of life, no LEDS, fans not spinning, just lifeless. I quickly assumed that my current 1000w PSU which I was gonna swap for a 850w PSU in a few days died. So I ran to the store and bought a new PSU (I assume it's not DOA, can't be that unlucky) and installed it, made sure everything is connected and seated properly and press the power button.
Nothing happens, same as before, no power, no LEDS or fans spinning, just nothing.

Funny thing is my 1000w PSU which I assumed dead passed the paper clip test.
I also tried forcing the motherboard to turn on by using a screw driver and touch the power switch pins but nothing happened still. Did my motherboard just die? Did my PSU fry the motherboard because of the sudden power draw of the 3080? I mean it was a year past its warranty already. Maybe the CPU is dead? What's most likely to be broken, I really need answers here.
Also how likely it is that my M.2 drive, SSD and HDD also died? kinda worried about all the things I have to replace if the PSU decided to destroy everything.

Gigabyte Z390 UD
i7 8700
Former GPU: GTX 1060 3gb
New GPU: RTX 3080
2 sticks of 8gb RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 lpx 3000Mhz
Former PSU: Thermaltake Smart m Series 1000w 80 Plus Bronze
New PSU: Coolermaster MWE 750w 80 Bronze Plus (they didn't have an 850w PSU)
NZXT Kraken x52
Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe
Crucial MX500 250gb
1TB HDD

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
I have a 6 year old Thermaltake Smart m Series 1000w PSU (5 years warranty), recently I upgraded from a GTX 1060 to an RTX 3080, first day I just installed the GPU and had no problems at all, it ran smoothly the whole day, I turned off my PC to go to bed and the next day this happens...

I press the power button and I watched the PC turn on for a split second and turn off immediately, after this the PC won't turn on anymore, not even for a split second like the first time, I mean there are no signs of life, no LEDS, fans not spinning, just lifeless. I quickly assumed that my current 1000w PSU which I was gonna swap for a 850w PSU in a few days died. So I ran to the store and bought a new PSU (I assume it's not DOA, can't be that unlucky) and installed it, made sure everything is connected and seated properly and press the power button.
Nothing happens, same as before, no power, no LEDS or fans spinning, just nothing.

Funny thing is my 1000w PSU which I assumed dead passed the paper clip test.
I also tried forcing the motherboard to turn on by using a screw driver and touch the power switch pins but nothing happened still. Did my motherboard just die? Did my PSU fry the motherboard because of the sudden power draw of the 3080? I mean it was a year past its warranty already. Maybe the CPU is dead? What's most likely to be broken, I really need answers here.
Also how likely it is that my M.2 drive, SSD and HDD also died? kinda worried about all the things I have to replace if the PSU decided to destroy everything.

Gigabyte Z390 UD
i7 8700
Former GPU: GTX 1060 3gb
New GPU: RTX 3080
2 sticks of 8gb RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 lpx 3000Mhz
Former PSU: Thermaltake Smart m Series 1000w 80 Plus Bronze
New PSU: Coolermaster MWE 750w 80 Bronze Plus (they didn't have an 850w PSU)
NZXT Kraken x52
Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe
Crucial MX500 250gb
1TB HDD

Did you try removing the gpu/ram to see if it changes anything at all? Sounds like a dead mobo imo, possible the cpu could have went but you won't know until you get a replacement motherboard.

Last edited: